Re: Mobile Hotspot and Unlimited Data Plan
gina7289
Contributor - Level 2
They have blocked use of apps that tether i think
0 Likes
lnwalker50
Enthusiast - Level 2

I bought the HTC Thunderbolt today. (9/4/2011) I called Verizon customer service and inquired about the mobile hotspot feature. I was told that because I have the unlimited data plan, the hotspot was included in the 4G data plan. I can hook up to 5 devices to it. We will wait and see after I get the new phone.

0 Likes
gina7289
Contributor - Level 2
U have to pay $30 on top of the $29.99 for ur standard data plan. They probably ment there both unlimited plans so the data will be combined when u look at what u used. That is how it is for me and I have his phone. All new plams will be combined together but the hotspot is not free
0 Likes
TheSteelman
Enthusiast - Level 2
I agree.

Your Smartphone only has one means of sending or receiving data. If your using your phone to connect you iPad to the Internet, then you can't use your phone at the same time.

I don't see why Big Red can't supply us with unlimited phone / hot spot data for one price.

Luckily, I still have a grandfathered 3G unlimited data plan for $30, but if Verizon said give us $10 and you can have hot spot as well, then maybe I would compromise and pay up.

I don't see any reason to fork over $20 for just 2 GB of data.
0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

The issue is no matter what a user is given they always want more...  I have read of users bragging about using 80+ gigs of data using hotspot and tethering methods verse them using 5-10 gigs on using data from the device only, I cant say this enough the contract is for data for the device and not for any device.., there is no way you can believe this increase of data use would not effect the network traffic especially if they give it free to all users this will exceed the network bandwith and Verizon will have to update network to hadle the traffic and I guess this gets done at no charge..

I was in europe and if you seen what they offer as a data package you wouldnt complain, 30.00 there still only get you 128 - 500mb a month if you are lucky and they use mobile hotspots in cafes and stores for all data usage and you are charged through fees to allow access through this.

No matter what some wont be happy until everything is modified and taken away before you understand how good the US has it compared to other location.  Do you not get that the teir plans was put in place because they got tired of hearing the complaint that you pay for unlimited data so you shoudnt be charge to allow everyone and anyone use the data as you see fit?

Even when you get home broadband the modem does not suppply access to more than one device, if you want to hookup another pc you pay for home networking to get a router to allow access to the other pc or you can go to the store and buy a router yourself and set up your own network which usually the service perviders throttles connection because you dont pay the extra fee monthly to them.

The whole point is you pay extra to get access to more than one pc no matter what you think...   Pluse I do not see the option to tske your connection with you anyware and always have access, that is a converiance that cost..

Also check out some of the new changes coming to Sprint.... http://www.androidcentral.com/leaked-sprint-playbook-shows-big-changes-coming-premier-program-return...

0 Likes