My HTC Rhyme will not update?
kassie1214

I have had my htc Rhyme for about a year now. It has been running really slow. I have been trying to update for about 2 months not . I keep getting a error message " Server unavailable. Check for software update under settings when service is available". I have tried to update in 3g and in 4g . I am not sure why it will not update. Any suggestions?

0 Likes
Re: My HTC Rhyme will not update?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Kassie1214, I can certainly help you figure out why the update is going thru so we can get your phone back functional. First, what software version do you currently have? You can check under Settings, About phone. The current version is 2.20.605.3 710RD. If you already have this version, you are current. If not, try rebooting and attempt the update again. The update was previously put on pause, but resumed 7/11. Try also dialing *228 send option 2 then attempt the update again. If no change, clear system cache. This will not wipe data on the device.
1. Boot into recovery
o Press and hold Power, Choose "Restart" option
o When screen turns off, press and hold Volume Down and Power
2. When the white HBOOT screen appears, use the volume button to move down to “RECOVERY.”
3. Press the Power button to select “RECOVERY.”
4. When the triangle and exclamation appears, hold the Volume Up and Power button at the same time.
5. Using the volume button, scroll down to “Wipe cache partition” and select it.
6. Select "Reboot system now"

Let me know if you still need assistance loading the software.

MarquiaF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
violinali

Dear VZW,

Mine is doing the same thing. I have tried rebooting but I can never get it to go into safemode or recovery because the Power button and Volume button instructions do not work (I've gotten to the white boot screen but nothing beyond that works). I have tried it multiple times. I've also heard to try power syncing but I have no idea what that is. I have also performed a complete reset of my phone, and that did nothing. How are we supposed to upgrade to ICS if we can't even get a simple update to work?

Any additional ideas would be great! Thank you!

p.s. Anyone else buying an iPhone when the next one comes out? I've had NO trouble updating my iPod and iPad, but have had continual issues with my HTC. After these issues, I think I'm done.

0 Likes
harriscd
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same here.  I was able to follow these instructions but it still doesn't recognize an update.  I don't get the 'server unavailable' message like everyone else, though.  I click Software Update, Check New, the screen pops up saying "Checking for new software..", then 2 seconds later it goes back to the Check New screen.  It's on WiFi when I do this and each time I click update it turns on 3G momentarily.  My software is stuck at 1.26.605.6.   Hate to do a factory reset just to find it doesn't help.  VZW: can we download update files to the SD card and do a manual update?

0 Likes
violinali

BINGO I found the answer!!! I read somewhere that you have to update the Android Market (green and white icon) to the new Google Play icon (looks different). I couldn't figure out how to do that until this:

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/800567#800567

Go there, and use one of your QR code apps to scan the code, which will prompt you to download the Google Play .apk. Go ahead and get that working (the new icon still hasn't replaced the old market one, but it works as Google Play). THEN I went to Software Update and it works!!!

I hope this works for you guys!!

0 Likes
kellybedelly

I am also having the same problem. after searching for new software, it will just return to the previous screen with no notification of if it even found an update.

I am still running the version 1.26.605.6.

I have done a factory reset, rebooted and cleaned the system cashe, and I ALSO upgraded the google play.

I have run out of options. Please help

0 Likes
harriscd
Enthusiast - Level 1

Nice, I'm not the only one with bad luck. Google Play update does not work for me.  It is installed but doesn't magically make phone updates work. I did start tinkering with hooking the phone up to the PC with a USB cable though. Took a few hours to find the right drivers but I am able to get ADB access and can pull log files etc.  Not sure if I want to try rooting yet if VZ would check back in with us maybe with next steps to try first? 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, kellybedelly!

I'm sorry for the trouble you have been having getting the software to update on the device. What is the current version of software on the Rhyme now? For further assistance, please send me (AdamE_VZW) a direct message.

Thanks,
AdamE_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
BryanLambert

I am also having this exact same issue with my wife's phone.  The Verizon HTC Rhyme will not update properly.  I have done a factory reset.  I have downloaded the official Google APK to update the outdated "market" to "Google Play", and all to no avail.  I even tried to see if the battery can be removed (It can't without tools and a voided warranty, so please ignore the suggestion to do so above) 

Verizon has an issue communicating with these phones that is keeping customers from important security updates.  I am sure it isn't intentional, but it is a real problem that is not being addressed properly.  Please release the update for download as a signed zip with instructions so we can download and install the security updates without the broken OTA update "tool" getting in the way.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi there BryanLambert!

You are absolutely correct that these updates are essential to the functionality of your wife's phone! I'm truly sorry you're also unable to update to the most current version.

I really appreciate all of the troubleshooting you've done so far!  You've done everything I would have done myself. This happens extremely rarely, but we may have to replace the device with one that is running the current software.

Is there any physical or liquid damage? Have you had the phone for less than 1 year? I've followed you, if you could please fill this out http://bit.ly/aUgBIy and let me know once you have so I can review your account options!

Thanks,

MelissaM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes