Re: No OTA ICS for Rezound so far
cmhyson
Contributor - Level 1

its amazing that verizon fails to keep its custmorers up to date on ICS updates. I wouldnt get too excited over this. Lest update Verizon thought it would be funny and cute to throw in that location agent that doesnt even work with the rezound that currently as a 1.1 star average review on the android market. Who knows what they will think of next.

maxrmnf
Enthusiast - Level 1

It does work. You just need to leave the application on your phone. It was already on the phone they just never had a app for it but now its there. It's completely useless its like NFL mobile if you dont like it you have no choice. Also to touch on the Ice Cream Sandwich release date. I'm a high school student, its like promising a little kid candy and taking it back. At this point no one knows or can tell we just have to sit back and wait. /:

0 Likes
cmhyson
Contributor - Level 1

Not sure what being a high school student has to do with kids and candy,

but the problem with bloatware on ICS is its there even if you disable it.

Im fine with the services being disabled but I want my space back so I can

use it for things I want not what Verizon wants

0 Likes
maxrmnf
Enthusiast - Level 1

Trust me I have complained a fair amount about it. The Rep agrees Verizon releases stupid stuff like the messaging app. But I completely agree with everyone on this. Its not fair.

0 Likes
cmhyson
Contributor - Level 1

So have I. Sprint allows you to remove most bloatware (note remove, not disable) and i cant see why Verizon can't. I dont really want to <deleted per TOS> my phone since I use it everyday and dont have the time to back everything up. I'm tempted to go back to sprint and get my hands on that evo. (I used to own the original evo and loved it) since the only flagship phone we seem to have gotten is a dumbed down rezound named the incredable 4G.

but it doesnt work as I tried updating it and it said its not comparable. (even other reviewers said so as well)

Its one thing I hate about android. Carrier bloatware and updates that keep getting pushed back.

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
rayclem
Enthusiast - Level 2

The problem with major OTA updates for phones is that you have two companies involved. There is the company who designed and manufactured the phone and the company who provides network service. Although those two companies are partners, they have very different business plans.

HTC wants to design and sell handsets. When you buy a new phone, they want you to chose HTC. They do not really care if you select Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, etc. as your provider. They just want to keep you from buying a phone from Samsung, Moto, LG, etc.

On the other hand, Verizon does not care which phone you purchase as long as it is one that connects to their network.

The only reason that either HTC or Verizon have any interest in OTA updates is that they know that if they don't provide them and their competitors do, you will choose another phone or another network the next time you have an opportunity.

It is much easier  for the makers of WiFi only tablets. My Acer A500 tablet received a OTA update to ICS 4.03 over my Wi_Fi network a couple of weeks ago. However, Acer has publicly stated that they have no plans to update the Acer A501. The A501 has a 3g radio which the A500 lacks. Because a carrier becomes involved in the update process for the A501, Acer decided it was not worth the hassle.

For those of you who think HTC or Verizon promised us a specific date for the OTA, please remember that they did no such thing. First we had an unauthorized leak showing an April date on the BestBuy employee web site. Then we saw an unauthorized leak showing the May 9 date on a Verizon internal web site. Neither HTC nor Verizon have ever made any public announcement concerning a specific date. If you chose to believe leaks and rumors, don't be disappointed if they don't come true.

Remember also that the worst thing that could happen for HTC, Verizon and YOU is if they release an OTA that makes your Rezound unusable. How would you feel about HTC and Verizon if you had to mail your phone back to be reimaged because an OTA update failed?  <Centent deleted per the Terms or Service (TOS)> Only when Verizon is certain that the ICS update from HTC will not cause them support issues will they release the final OTA. Who knows, however, we might see another leak.

The reason that Verizon and all other carriers install bloatware on a phone is to try to drive revenue. They want you to send text messages rather than make voice calls because text messages use less bandwidth than voice, but bring in revenue. They want you to use their GPS navigation service costing an extra $10 per month. They want you to use their family locator service. They are hoping that you will take the lazy approach and pay for their services rather than looking for competing services that may be either lower cost or even free. This is the same tactic taken by grocery stores who put junky magazines and candy along the checkout aisles. Because it is easy to grab it, some people do.

Concerning bloatware, however, it is not really a big deal. <Content deleted per the TOS.> Even if you do not freeze the apps, they take up minimal ram and minimal CPU clocks as long as you do not access them. There are even apps that will hide unused apps (bloatware) from the app drawer. The newer operating system like ICS move applications in and out of RAM as needed. The system tries to keep as much in RAM as possible so that it will be readily available if you call on it. So there is no need to be concerned if your RAM starts to fill up. That is actually a good thing as it makes the apps load faster. If the system needs more RAM, it will dumps things you aren't using so it can free up the space it needs. Never use an app killer. That just confuses the operating system and prevents it from doing it job efficiently.

Likewise, apps take up so little memory space in comparison to what is available that you do not need to be concerned. On my Acer A500 I have nearly 400 apps installed and still have almost 7 GB of space remaining on my 16 GB internal memory. The Rezound also comes with a 16 GB microsdhc card. If you need more memory than that, you can purchase a 32 GB card. I just purchased a 32 GB Samsung Class 10 card for $40 at MicroCenter. 

cmhyson
Contributor - Level 1

The main issue is HTC promised ICS for the rezound in the first half of 2012 (maybe first quater. Can't quite remember) and its already may, going to be June in a few weeks. Its clearly in Verizons hands and they are just sitting on it. If it really is a major bug then I understand but from the leaks it doesn't seem to be a major issue.

and bloatware may take up little space but it still takes up space. Its MY PHONE I should decide what I put on it. This is something a few people on this board need to understand. I dont care if it takes up little space or used little ram I OWN THE PHONE.NOT Verizon or you guys. <Discussion of moderation is not permitted in the public forum and shall be handled through Direct (Private) Message.>

You may have the fastest network, but customer service is something you clearly need to work on.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Finally!  Somebody who gets it!  Thank you for posting this piece of awesomeness (cause I didn't want to write it).  So many people complaining about things that just don't matter.  The only thing I would add to your post is the fact that the Android source code is written for GSM and so everything pertaining to the use of Verizon's phones as phones has to be re-written for use on their CDMA network.  Not to mention the extra amount of trouble-shooting that comes with that.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

HTC did NOT promise ICS for the first quarter, or even the first half of the year.  They originally put out a statement saying the Rezound SHOULD see ICS in the first quarter, then came out with another statement saying it would be later this year.  Verizon is not just sitting on it, there have now been three leaked versions, with improvements to each one, so it is being worked on.  They may or may not have been satisfied with the most recent version, so it may be a few more weeks before we see it, but it IS being worked on.

As for your little bloatware rant, I don't see why everybody gets so worked up about this.  How does it effect you in any way, other than seeing a few apps in your drawer that you will never use?  Regardless, nobody around here is saying that you should have to keep them, just that it is a dead horse and we are sick of seeing people beat it.  Complaining about it here will not change anything about it, you need to contact Verizon corporate.

0 Likes
hova
Enthusiast - Level 1

There are more than 8 weeks left in the first half of the year, and less than 5% of android devices have ICS right now.  Its going to be ok, really, just be patient.

0 Likes