Re: Pop up window
B33
Legend

Ann & Wildman i have this pop up as Well on my Incredible Since i done the Gingerbread update. I accept an go on. Since you have Gingerbread has the Gremlin thats been a pest on the X an the one now as well on The incredible has it showed it self on your T-bolt hopefully it won't. Just wished HTC would get the update fix for the Inc.'s. B33

0 Likes
ddmk6

Wildman wrote:

Ann154 wrote:
I saw the gps warning note with the option to "never warn" when I switched my batteries last night. This was the first time, I had rebooted my Tbolt since the Gingerbread update.

Thats right, forgot about that one that happen on reboot after activating the option and rebooting...

I just tried to see if this would fix my problem.  I turned on all location services then powered off the phone.  Pulled the battery, put it back in.  Powered the phone back up.  While booting the screen above popped up.  I selected never warn.  Then I went into location settings and turned off all 3 services.  Now I logged into AndroidLost and sent the command to activate GPS and send location.   Drum roll please...........SAME @$#^&*%$#@#& POP UP WINDOW.  Man I was hopeful.  I tried it twice, no luck.  Thanks for the info though.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
The "never warn" only works if you leave the gps services on.

I only use the bottom two and not VZW gps service.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Ann154 wrote:
The "never warn" only works if you leave the gps services on.

I only use the bottom two and not VZW gps service.

Correct, everytime you disable the option it reset the popup option, as long as the gps gets turned of and back on the issue will continue.

0 Likes
ChristinaB_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hi ddmk6,

I understand your reasoning regarding the GPS services. Thanks to the community for your input. I would like to explain some information and details behind the GPS services. 

Please note that wireless providers do not allow devices with non-GPS equipment to be used on their networks. Due in part to regulations encouraging mobile phone tracking, including E911, the majority of GPS receivers are built into mobile telephones, with varying degrees of coverage and user accessibility. Commercial navigation software is available for most smartphones,as well as some Java-enabled phones that allows them to use an internal or external GPS receiver (in the latter case, connecting via serial or Bluetooth). 

When it comes to tracking your location, GPS is great when using a mapping application, or when calling 911. So, though I do understand where you are coming from, GPS is a service that is necessary on devices. If you only want the GPS "on" during certain times, you will have to use the pop-up disclaimer. 

I know that this is not the information you want to hear, but I hope it is still helpful for you. 

Thanks and have a good day!

0 Likes
ddmk6

ChristinaB_VZW wrote:

When it comes to tracking your location, GPS is great when using a mapping application, or when calling 911. So, though I do understand where you are coming from, GPS is a service that is necessary on devices. If you only want the GPS "on" during certain times, you will have to use the pop-up disclaimer. 

I know that this is not the information you want to hear, but I hope it is still helpful for you. 

Thanks and have a good day!

Thanks for your reply Christina.  I understand the GPS and the tracking thing.  It's one thing is the phone company is doing tracking.  It's another if the 3rd party apps are doing the tracking.

I also understand the disclaimer.  But I am not 3 years old.  I do not need to be told everytime I wish to use the GPS.  Please relay this comment to Verizon.  Please give us an option to turn the disclaimer OFF.  I read it the first time that was enough.  It is disabling the function of a 3rd party app that I can use to find my phone if I lose it.  If Verizon does not allow us an option to turn it off, I am sure someone on the internet can provide a fix.  I have kept my phone stock because it has done everything I need it to so far.  I would really love to be able to delete some of the bloatware that Verizon has installed.  It would be nice to free up some resources.  I guess if we don't get a choice and Verizon does not want to help us, we just go rogue.

Thanks again

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

ddmk6 wrote:

Thanks for your reply Christina.  I understand the GPS and the tracking thing.  It's one thing is the phone company is doing tracking.  It's another if the 3rd party apps are doing the tracking.

I also understand the disclaimer.  But I am not 3 years old.  I do not need to be told everytime I wish to use the GPS.  Please relay this comment to Verizon.  Please give us an option to turn the disclaimer OFF.  I read it the first time that was enough.  It is disabling the function of a 3rd party app that I can use to find my phone if I lose it.  If Verizon does not allow us an option to turn it off, I am sure someone on the internet can provide a fix.  I have kept my phone stock because it has done everything I need it to so far.  I would really love to be able to delete some of the bloatware that Verizon has installed.  It would be nice to free up some resources.  I guess if we don't get a choice and Verizon does not want to help us, we just go rogue.

Thanks again

The popup is more of a lega; thing and to acknowledge to the user what is going to enable the feature, this makes sense because of everyone responding to location information being accessed.

Now as for the apps the situation would not come from Verizon because this is configured in Android because the apps usually tag your location to access information close to your location instead of have you search through useless info.

0 Likes
ddmk6

Wildman wrote:

Now as for the apps the situation would not come from Verizon because this is configured in Android because the apps usually tag your location to access information close to your location instead of have you search through useless info.

Thanks Wildman...So your saying I should be directing these questions to HTC instead of Verizon?  It actually makes more sense that HTC would be putting this disclaimer in the build.  I'll check it out and see if I can get any help over there.

Thanks again

0 Likes