Re: Problems with Ringtone for contacts?
markmi

Yes,  My primary contacts are in Outlook, so I deleted everyone from Google. 

I also deleted them from the phone and started from scratch.  Syncing them from Microsoft Outlook to the Thunderbolt.

What program are you using to sync to the phone?

Did you try assigning ringtones using the app RINGDROID?  That solution may work for you (see my previous post).

If that doesn't work, you may want to consider doing a Factory data reset.  I know it's a pain because you will be returning the phone to the state it was when you bought it.

0 Likes
kizzle53

markmi wrote:

I also deleted them from the phone and started from scratch.  Syncing them from Microsoft Outlook to the Thunderbolt.

Did you try assigning ringtones using the app RINGDROID?  That solution may work for you (see my previous post).

If that doesn't work, you may want to consider doing a Factory data reset.  I know it's a pain because you will be returning the phone to the state it was when you bought it.

Ohh ok. I just deleted a few that I want personal ringtones from google and typed each one back into my phone. I havent synced any other numbers besides my facebook friends. I forgot about RINGDROID. I used a ringtone from Free Music Download for my girlfriend which works every now and then since I redone it, and the other I been used is Zedge. Im going to dowload Ringdroid right now as im typing. I also already did a factory data reset. So what do you think I should do? Do you think I should just delete everyone off google and just re enter their number from scratch or keep what I already done?

0 Likes
markmi

kizzle53 wrote:

markmi wrote:

Ohh ok. I just deleted a few that I want personal ringtones from google and typed each one back into my phone. I havent synced any other numbers besides my facebook friends. I forgot about RINGDROID. I used a ringtone from Free Music Download for my girlfriend which works every now and then since I redone it, and the other I been used is Zedge. Im going to dowload Ringdroid right now as im typing. I also already did a factory data reset. So what do you think I should do? Do you think I should just delete everyone off google and just re enter their number from scratch or keep what I already done?

Try Ringdroid first.  If that doesn't let you set ringtones to all your contacts, I would start from scratch with a factory reset.

0 Likes
kizzle53
Yeah no luck. So u think I should do another factory data reset? Then type each number in?
0 Likes
markmi

I assume you don't use Microsoft Outook or another email package.  If you do, you could probably try using HTC Sync to import the contacts to the phone.   Otherwise you can manually type in a couple of contacts and see if you can assign ringtones to them.

If you do all those steps including Factory reset, I would consider taking the phone back to Verizon for an exchange.

Hope you get things workings

Regards

0 Likes
Cobalt83

Same thing here but it's not a texting thing as some claim. Least not with me. When my phone is locked n' in standby, that's when the default ringtone is reverted to. When my phone is not locked, I get my assigned ringtones. I tested this a few times n' that seems to be the case. How to fix that, I have no clue.

0 Likes
jazz1style

I have a similiar discussion going on the HTC community forum here: http://community.htc.com/na/htc-forums/android/f/107/p/11216/48146.aspx#48146

Many people are having this issue. I have done the factory reset. Assigned ringtones to contacts directly, downloaded Ringdroid and followed all of the suggestions on this forum. Nothing works!!!! Have contacted Verizon and HTC numerous times and they both say that they are unaware of the issue. Don't know what else can be done. I believe it is an HTC software problem. Hopefully the upcoming upgrade and gingerbread android update will fix.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Once I learned where the default folder was that android phones look for ringtones, notification tones, or alarm tones, I have not had any problems with the phone playing my custom ringtones. I have done this folder setting with three different HTC android phones.

In the sd card create the following folders.
Sdcard drive:/media / audio / ringtones
Sdcard drive:/media / audio / notifications
Sdcard drive:/media / audio / alarms

Place the ringtone files in the desired folder(s) and after a reboot the phone will locate the files and include them in the ringtone selection list.

To add to this, Ringdroid creates the same folders on the sd card when you save any of the different types of ringtones through the application.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Here is most likely the nature of your problem, your ringers are stored on your SD Card and any time you plug your device into a PC and it is mounted as storage device and anything that access the sd card the alert resets to default because the ringer is not avalible and it will reset once you disconnect and restart device  

The best way to test this is to set a custom alert or ringer and test it to be sure it took and then mount phone with a PC with a USB and then try the alert again and see if it restored to stock, I really believe you will learn that this is causing the alert changing..

And as for the double notification with Handcent, just disable the stock notification under Messaging / Text Messaging / Left Menu / Messaging Settings and uncheck Notification.

0 Likes
CJREYES666
Contributor - Level 1
I tried to replicate the problem since i usually have only one ringtone for all contacts and it seems that the i have that problem as well. Here is what i did set a different ringtone for my wifes # and set my default ringtone, called from wifes # and she had her ringtone, called again but this blocking the # and got the default ringtone everything at this point. Sent a msg default ringtone for msgs aswell, called again from my wifes # but this i did get the default ringtone for her and not the ringtone that was set up for even do im looking at her profile with the ringtone choosen for her. So i guess it might be software issue here not a big deal for me but i understand some would like to know who is calling them just by the ringtone they have choosen.
0 Likes