Re: Problems with Wireless Hotspot on HTC Thunderbolt
sixsigma

I am extremely frustrated with the hotspot service.  I have been paying for it for several months now even though it has not been useful for me.  I was able to use the mobile hotspot fine before Verizon disabled the service and crippled the phone.

Now when I enable mobile hotspot, I can connect for about 2-3 minutes, able to load one website or two before the 4G icon disappears on my phone and there is no longer any internet.  The only way to access the internet via my phone is through internet connection mode through the USB hub.

Can someone please let me know if they have managed to get Verizon to address this issue?  I am really mad but have no choice but to subscribe since I need internet access.  I just want the same abilities that I used to have before my phone got crippled..

0 Likes
tucknet

Same problem here....mine just gives me an "Error" 80% of the time and I can't get a connection at all....unfortunately, I need the internet as well otherwise I would just cancel it....

0 Likes
freddirkse

Judging by the number of posts around the net on this exact topic, this is obviously a recurring issue with the Thunderbolt and/or Verizon. 
It's a shame that neither will do anything about it so far.  I am currently connected via my Thunderbolt Hotspot (stable location, not moving) and it's a non-stop drop and return connection situation. It's taken me nearly a 1/2 hr just to get this far with this post because it drops, connnects back briefly, then drops again...over and over.

It's been happening since I got the Hotspot, but since I don't use it very often I've mostly just (sadly) put up with it.  I did call Verizon a month ago on it, and they were genuinely "helpful", however did not admit to it being a recurring issue and did not provide a fix for it.

Things happen with technology - not a big deal.  It's unfortunate that neither company is stepping up to actually FIX the issue.

It's not like this is a FREE service/feature....we're all paying good money for something that does NOT work as it should.

0 Likes
frustrated71

ditto with me on the hot spot problems....added the service while on vacation during Christmas break in an area I don't have internet access.  Works for 5 minutes max and then cuts out.  Glad I don't need it long term.  Should not have to pay for the months service but that'll be the day that Verizon admits they have a problem, which is obvious there is one....

0 Likes
lynxduck
Enthusiast - Level 1

I can confirm on everyone that said it's a hotspot problem. I got the USB Cable Internet Connection Mode going after months of trouble and FINALLY it stopped dropping the connection every 60 seconds. Ever since not using the WiFi HotSpot feature and instead using the USB Cable for tethering, I get nothing but perfect 4G connections.

0 Likes
pat3332
Contributor - Level 2

I have also had trouble when tethering my laptop to the  TBolt hotspot at work. As others, it worked fine while the free promotion was in affect, but has gone down to the point that it is almost nonexistent. It often shows the 4G icon in the status bar, but it seems to be asleep and it won't connect, so I keep getting Network not available messages. It also runs very slow when it is connected.

I have been trying a Rezound side by side with the TBolt for about 5 days and when the TBolt is asleep and not connecting, the Rezound doesn't seem to have any problems keeping connected and running at a normal 4G speed. I am in an extended coverage area, but still with very good coverage.

I have checked the network signal on both phones and they are almost identical. -67 to -70 dBms on 3G and -120 to -125 on 4G, but where the TBolt loses it's connection constantly, the Rezound will occasionally drop to 3G, but then will come back without having to jump through the usual hoops of Airplane mode, turning the network connection off and on, or restarting the phone. Same signal, different results. Possibly a difference in the antenna? Not sure if it would make a difference, but the Rezound still has Android 2.3.4, but with Sense 3.5.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

One thing I have noticed using the hotspot is, if you do not light before 30 minutes passes, the connection is hibernated and you can not connect to anywhere.

When I see this, I light the screen, the connection comes back and all is good. I try to light the screen before the connection hibernates. If I do, I no longer have to do this for the rest of the session.

0 Likes
pat3332
Contributor - Level 2

budone wrote:

One thing I have noticed using the hotspot is, if you do not light before 30 minutes passes, the connection is hibernated and you can not connect to anywhere.

When I see this, I light the screen, the connection comes back and all is good. I try to light the screen before the connection hibernates. If I do, I no longer have to do this for the rest of the session.

Hey budone. Sorry, but I'm not sure I'm following what you said. "If you do not light before 30 minutes passes".  "When I light the screen". Are you referring to the Screen Timeout? I have mine set to never turn off. I prefer having it on until I decide to turn it off since having it go off while I'm trying to do something like surfing the net drives me nuts. I always have my phone plugged into a charger when I'm tethering my laptop to the hotspot and using 4G so I don't have to worry about the battery.

So far what has worked best for me was to get the Rezound and now I'm no longer frustrated by the Bolt's network connection problems, or any of it's other problems for that matter.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Sorry missed a word. When using the hospot, i will press the power button to have the screen come up. This keeps my connection from hibernating

If i do forget and the connection quits, i just hit the power button and the connection returns.

0 Likes
paulanderegg

INTERNET CONNECTION MODE!!!!  After spending months dealing with no internet access while using the hotspot feature, I found this thread and found out how to tether internet connection mode.  Not only does my laptop now work 100% of the time, the website I require to upload a few hundred MB's a night now doesn't lock up.  If the hotspot feature hichupped or lost connection if only for a moment, my upload would stop, making me reinitiate it a dozen times or so making a 1 minute upload take 15 minutes!  I am so happy about this you have no idea.  My phone is always connected by the USB cable anyway for charging.......when I unplug it looses connection, but when I plug back in it gets connection again in about 1 minute.

Can I cancel the damn hotspot fee or does Verizon consider any laptop internet connection usage chargeable?

Paul Anderegg

0 Likes