Question about OTA updates...
jedikrem

I recently bought a used Thunderbolt and got a SIM card from Verizon just the other day.  I put in my new SIM card, phone is activated, blah blah.  The phone is currently running android 2.2.1, which I believe is the version the phone shipped with when it originally came out.  My question, however, is that when I go into the settings and I check for new software updates, it keeps telling me that no new updates are available.  Any ideas on why this is happening?  I figured I would have been able to update my phone by now, but I still have had no luck.  Can anyone tell me whether it just takes a while when you get a phone and install a new SIM card or something?  I just don't understand why I'm not able to update my phone at all.  Thanks for any replies!

0 Likes
Re: Question about OTA updates...
lemew
Contributor - Level 3

The phone will most likely not update itself from froyo.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey there jedikrem. That is awesome that you bought a Thunderbolt. It is a great phone and I hope that you are enjoying it so far. I know its important for the phones software to be updated so you phone can stay up to date and running smoothly and I would be happy to assist you in making sure that gets done.

The Thunderbolt should currently be on Android 4.04 which is the Ice Cream Sandwhich update. The software updates are pushed out to the phone automatically and your phone will alert you once it is ready to complete the software update. The device should be able to have it by now, so it is odd when you check manually that there is no update needed.

If you haven't done so already, I would do a complete factory reset on the phone. You can view the steps on how to do the reset by visiting http://vz.to/rlYXKN. When the device comes back up, you should be able to update the software. Keep us updated with your results.

NickB_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Ryzhevski

So, same problem here. I took the advice and did a factory reset...nothing. My phone is still saying that there is no update available.

0 Likes
okamsrazor22
Contributor - Level 1

Sometimes a local VZW store can flash it to the newest version for you (or they used too, I have not been in an actual VZW "store" for many years). If that is not an option there are 3rd party stores who do it for a fee (or at least by me, I see dozens advertising), you can also do a Google search on how to manually update the phone yourself. It is not hard.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Ryzhevski, I'm disappointed that the hard reset did not allow you to update your phone. Are you showing 2.21 software version as well? It seems like the phone may have missed several updates indicating a problem with the phone. I can attempt to have our product team push out the update, but if no change, the phone may need to be replaced. Can you please respond to my follow request and send me a direct message with your name, mobile number, IMEI and the software & baseband versions found in Settings, About phone.

MarquiaF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Skinnerj

I have the same problem. I have tried The manual software update button in the hard reset and still I can't update the phone.

0 Likes