Random Restarts/shutdowns
bkmoney

Does anyone have any advice I bought the phone a week ago today and i am having problems with it restarting not all the time just like 1-2 a day and ussually when im using it. My thoughts are if its the Phone then i need to switch to a better phone if it can be fixed please let me know. thank you

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Random Restarts/shutdowns
AZSALUKI
Legend

scroll thorugh this forum. this is a known issue (to verizon and htc) and they are supposedly working on a fix. the problem is that the first update (in may) is what caused the reboot issue to begin with. if you don't want to wait for a fix (and nobody knows how long that could take), your options are to exchage it with 14 days of your purchase for a different device. after 14 days your only option will be to keep trying other thunderbolts until they send you one that doesn't reboot. not the best options...but it is what it is. you may want to check out the samsung charge. they don't all do it.....but enough of them do that it's all over the blogs/forums.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

scroll thorugh this forum. this is a known issue (to verizon and htc) and they are supposedly working on a fix. the problem is that the first update (in may) is what caused the reboot issue to begin with. if you don't want to wait for a fix (and nobody knows how long that could take), your options are to exchage it with 14 days of your purchase for a different device. after 14 days your only option will be to keep trying other thunderbolts until they send you one that doesn't reboot. not the best options...but it is what it is. you may want to check out the samsung charge. they don't all do it.....but enough of them do that it's all over the blogs/forums.

0 Likes
bkmoney

this helped alot but i was wondering what one should i exchange and  i really like this phone i just cant do with the restarts si maybe keep trying to get a new TB? or just go to something else?

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

if you're a patient person that can deal with possibly being sent multiple tbolts with the same problem while you wait for the update, then i prefer the tbolt. but if you really don't want to deal with this hassle then i would check out the charge. it's a nice phone. the problem is you only get one exchange and it must be done within 14 days so you have to decide soon if you would rather try the charge. if you go that route then you are stuck with the charge.....but if you have your tbolt replaced then you are stuck with a tbolt. so whatever you do, you will have to keep that model of device. i prefer the tbolt, but i was fortunate enough to NOT download that update in May so mine does not reboot. i don't think i could handle reboots while i was in the middle of calls or other tasks. that's just as bad as being on a provider that you lose a signal constantly with.

0 Likes
bkmoney

Well here is the funny part this is my second TB in like 8 days still has the problem the 1st one had is there a way to not download that patch/update when i first get it? and now that  you know that what should be my next step?

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i really hate to say it because i LOVE this phone....but it's a complete crapshoot. you can keep returning it, but you get certified preowned devices. there is a "chance" that you will get one that has not installed the update, but most likely you won't. all of the brand new devices and nearly all of the preowned ones have installed that update and there is no way to revert back to the previous version of the software. if you need a phone that won't do this now, then i would go look at the droid charge :smileysad:   if you can wait, then there "should be" a fix that will be sent via an over the air update.....hopefully in july....but nobody really knows when that update will actually be released. it's a shame too because it really was a great phone until they pushed that update.

0 Likes
bkmoney

So then if i keep exchanging theres a chance i will get a TB with the new update but wont reset? because its not a problem to all the new updated TB right?

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i believe so. i know it appears that almost all of them do it if you google the issue or scroll through this forum.....but there are hundreds of thousands of these in circulation. i CAN'T imagine that they all do it. however, what i meant was that there is a "chance" that you will get a certified preowned device that has not downloaded the update at all....and if that is the case, then you could just NOT install the update until the next one comes out. all of the new tbolts have the updated software and nearly all of the preowned ones do as well. just understand that i've seen people on this forum that have got 4 or 5 replacements and they are still dealing with the issue.

0 Likes