Re: Rebooting after update
PJNC284
Master - Level 2
Interesting.  Verizon should take note.  This would likely fix a lot of the issues people have when updating
http://www.droid-life.com/2011/07/01/cincinnati-bell-releases-froyo-and-needs-you-to-root-your-miles...

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

PJNC284 wrote:
Interesting.  Verizon should take note.  This would likely fix a lot of the issues people have when updating
http://www.droid-life.com/2011/07/01/cincinnati-bell-releases-froyo-and-needs-you-to-root-your-miles...

nice find. while this would be sweet for many of us, i think it's way beyond your average user. who wants to get into going through all of this just to get a proper update? i've gotta believe that cincinnati bell has a lot of customers right now asking them "are you serious? how about you just do all of this for me?" just my opinion though.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
I think I'm speechless! Wow!

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

AZSALUKI wrote:

PJNC284 wrote:

nice find. while this would be sweet for many of us, i think it's way beyond your average user. who wants to get into going through all of this just to get a proper update? i've gotta believe that cincinnati bell has a lot of customers right now asking them "are you serious? how about you just do all of this for me?" just my opinion though.

yeah, but the average user could still run into problems with corrupt data after an upgrade.  Backing up the data, doing a fresh install and restoring could fix a lot of upgrade related issues.  Heck some OTA's don't go so well and you end up having to wipe anyways and lose everything.  This is why most rom developers want you to wipe data and do a fresh install and then you can restore your apps and data. 

0 Likes
patman
Enthusiast - Level 1

I agree with what has been said. What good is a "flagship" phone if it's encumbered with all these problems. I had a Droid X which I gave to my wife. She can watch Netflix and I can't. I would find this humorous if I hadn't spent so much money on something that is becoming a joke. We are in an area that does not receive 4G yet and can't wait for the experience, however I'm not sure I want to experience it with a Thunderbolt..

PJNC284
Master - Level 2

So it looks like neither the Gingerbread leak nor either of the 2 newish radios are a 100% solution to the reboot problems which is likely why we haven't seen either "officially" yet.  Went to my parents over the 4th of July break and ended up with 3 reboots over a 4 day period. Granted one of those random reboots came as a result of me trying to force LTE only mode. That's less than the 2+/day I was getting on any of the previous Froyo builds but it still seems to be an issue.

AZSALUKI
Legend

PJNC284 wrote:

So it looks like neither the Gingerbread leak nor either of the 2 newish radios are a 100% solution to the reboot problems which is likely why we haven't seen either "officially" yet.  Went to my parents over the 4th of July break and ended up with 3 reboots over a 4 day period. Granted one of those random reboots came as a result of me trying to force LTE only mode. That's less than the 2+/day I was getting on any of the previous Froyo builds but it still seems to be an issue.

then i guess i'm content to continue waiting. it will be nice to get an update that works (as well as GB), but i'm happy with what i got for now. to be honest, i'd probably prefer to get Sense 3.0 before GB, but that wont happen until i get bored enough to do things to this device. since i have no reboots, i don't even want to mess with anything.

kevitosc
Enthusiast - Level 1

I know this has been going on for a while, and its happening on mine to. But i talked to verizon support. still no progress. Sorry got kind of mad with them too. 

Please wait for a Chat Representative to respond.Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless.

My name is 'Shana', how may I assist you?

Shana: Good morning, Kevin. How can I assist you?

Kevin: Well, I have a slight issue.

Shana: I am sorry to hear that. How can I help?

Kevin: I have a Thunderbolt 4G LTE and i received an update for the phone.

Kevin: Now it restarts on its own

Shana: Just to clarify, are you referring to the software update?

Kevin: yes. the OTA update

Shana: Ok. May I ask how often the phone power cycles itself?

Kevin: At least twice a day.

Kevin: I was on the phone yesterday at a job site for work and i got disconnected from a customer due to a random reboot.

Shana: Ok. HTC is aware of this issue and is working towards another update that will resolve the power cycling problems. If your phone is resetting at least twice per day, we can replace the phone with a Certified Like-New handset of the same make and model at no charge. We do as that you do not update the software until it has been resolved. If you do update the software, there is not a way that we can guarantee that this problem will not continue.

Shana: Would you like to try the replacement phone?

Shana: I am sorry, I meant to say "We do ask that you do not update the software until it has been resolved.*

Kevin: define = "Certified Like-New handset". And i only ask this cause mine is in mint condition. I was at the local Verizon store here in town and i was told that i would have to wait on the update and there is nothing they can do?

Shana: A Certified Like-New handset is not a new handset. If you are outside of the 14 day Worry Free Guarantee, your warranty coverage will begin. Although it is not a new handset, they do go through a 100-point inspection with our warehouse before they will considered it as a replacement phone.

Kevin: Do you by chance know of and ETA on this being resolved. cause it seems that this issue has been going on for awhile.

Shana: If you do not want to replace your phone, you do have the option of waiting for the update. Unfortunately, they have not provided us with an estimated time of release for it.

Shana: Kevin, I have not heard from you for a few moments.  Would you like me to keep this chat session open for you?

Kevin: There is no point to replace a phone that is (should be ) in working condition, the only reason why its "not" working is due to an update that i hope was "beta Tested" which seems it was not. Im just frustrated that an update was release without extensive testing.

Shana: I do understand your frustrations, but I assure you that HTC as well as Verizon Wireless do extensive testing before an update is released. This update has not affected all of our customers with this handset. If you change your mind about the replacement phone, please contact us. I have notated your account that I offered this to you.

Kevin: So far i have been satisfied with Verizon service since i switched from T-mobile. but now i seem to be leaning again.

Shana: I do hope that changes.

Kevin: you have to understand that I am not mad at you. Just the product released by your company.

Shana: I understand.Shana: Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns that I can assist you with.

Kevin: I guess for now that is all. I hope that Verizon gets this "issue" fixed.

Shana: I assure you that it will be resolved once HTC releases the update.Shana: Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless.  We appreciate your business.  

Please click 'End Chat' button above to end the chat session.

AZSALUKI
Legend

kevitosc wrote:

I know this has been going on for a while, and its happening on mine to. But i talked to verizon support. still no progress. Sorry got kind of mad with them too. 

i'd say you were MUCH more polite than most customers. absolutely no need for any apology. they need to get this fixed and they need to do it last month.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

AZSALUKI wrote:

kevitosc wrote:

i'd say you were MUCH more polite than most customers. absolutely no need for any apology. they need to get this fixed and they need to do it last month.

+1 Totally agree with you AZ in regards to this post.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes