Repetitive issue receiving software updates
gb1

I originally received my first Thunderbolt on its launch date back on March.  On July 15, I received notification and downloaded a software update.  That was the last notification that I ever received for an update.  At the beginning of December, I called Verizon support to inquire to when I might receive the Gingerbread update and was told that I should receive it by Christmas.  We did all of the standard troubleshooting (software update button, battery pull, factory reset,checkin etc).  Still never received it.  Called back after Christmas, went through all troubleshooting again and a ticket was then escalated to Engineering group to fix, with promised 5 day turn around.  2 weeks later, didn't hear anything.

Last week, I went to local Verizon store to check status.  Was told that I needed a replacement phone.  Replacement phone was received this week and came with Gingerbread on it.  However, it was on 2.11.605.5.  I cannot seem to get it upgraded to 2.11.605.9.  Done all standard troubleshooting again (software update button, battery pull, factory reset, checkin, etc.). 

Any ideas as to what may be causing these updates to not come or any advice as to what to do next?  I really don't want to update manually, if I can avoid it.  Appreciate any help or insight.  Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Repetitive issue receiving software updates
gb1

After a visit to the local Verizon store, I was directed to call tech support.  Did that and actually reached a tech that had a Thunderbolt.  The root issue appeared to be that, when going to Software Update/Check New, the phone did display a message that it was checking for updates, but never displayed the "no new updates found" message.  So, he replaced the phone again.

The next one that arrived exhibited the exact same symptoms, but also had very poor audio quality so it too was replaced.  The 4th one that I received last Friday works perfectly.  It is updated to the most current software version and displays the "no new updates found" message when checking for updates, indicating that it is properly communicating with the update server.

Issue resolved.

0 Likes
Re: Repetitive issue receiving software updates
Not applicable

Gb1, I'm sorry to hear about all the issues you had with receiving the software update on your device, but I'm glad your issue was finally resolved. Thanks for sharing your experience.

MarquiaF_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes