Rezound and still no Ice Cream Sandwich
jonesytv
Enthusiast - Level 1

Am I the only one who's getting a little, no, a lot annoyed with these companies?  Verizon and HTC.

This phone cost me $300 bucks when I purchased it in November.  The signs in the store and the sales rep made a big deal, Ice Cream Sandwich in early 2012.  I live in realville.  Early 2012 in realville is Jan. or Feb. or maybe early March.

I also have problems with horrible call quality, when I use the phone as a wifi hotspot for my notebook, it just stops downloading and kicks me off the internet.  And the list goes on and on.

I understand upgrading a phone is a lot of work.  But they have a calendar.  Get to work early on it.  If I did my job as bad as these 2 companies do their job, I would be fired.  There is no excuse in this.  They have just taken the money and run.  Period.

Why has there been no statement from these companies?  Only crickets.

What is going on and why can't anyone give me an answer? 

0 Likes
Re: Rezound and still no Ice Cream Sandwich
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

It has been this way since the first Android phone on Verizon or any other carrier. They will not tell an update is happening until it is occurring. It happened to the Droid Eris, Thunderbolt, Fascinate, Continuum, Droid X, Droid2, Commando to name a few just on Verizon Wireless. Don't even get me started on the other carriers!

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

They also have to wait for Google to even say what they should release. Google said 4.0.3 is the starting point sometime in March. So most updates when they start coming out will be 4.0.3. So manufacturers had less time than believed. They did not have had the time since Novemeber. They had the time since mid March.

0 Likes
notarep
Contributor - Level 3

Why are people so *upset* about not receiving the update? Like its cure-all for all phone problems. I can't believe people still believe salesmen at all.

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
jonesytv
Enthusiast - Level 1

notarep, you are correct...

i was a sucker for believing them...

never again...

0 Likes
njandtmp
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've only recently upgraded to the Rezound, and yes it was partially because of the promise of ICS. And also I am aggravated about the lack of support from Verizon about the actual release date. Because they are forcing us to cling to internet rumors in hopes of an actual update date.

Comment deleted per the >

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
possiblymaybe

I think it is ridiculous that it is taking this long for the Rezound to get this update. It is three months past due now. In phone years that's like 50 years.  Who wants an update when our phone is already obsolete by the time we get it?  It is working fine on the other phones. Just use the rezound api and adapt the damn operating system how hard can it be? It's all java isnt it?

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

possiblymaybe wrote:

I think it is ridiculous that it is taking this long for the Rezound to get this update. It is three months past due now. How do you figure that it is 3 months overdue?  Granted, when HTC first announced which phones would get ICS, they listed the Rezound as early 2012 (which I would interpret as the first half of the year) which means they still have a month and a half to meet THAT goal.  But then, after that, they put out another statement, with a different estimate of "later this year".  Obviously, anybody who was looking forward to the updated was unhappy to hear that, but it makes your "three months past due" even more false.  In phone years that's like 50 years.  Who wants an update when our phone is already obsolete by the time we get it?  Actually, I do, it's like getting a new phone, and the Rezound is no where near being obsolete. It is working fine on the other phones. Just use the rezound api and adapt the **** operating system how hard can it be?  Have you done Android development yourself?  I'd be willing to bet it's a lot harder than you think.  Like someone else said, this is one of the biggest overall changes to Android, getting all the pieces to work properly is more than using the Rezound API and adapting the OS.  The update will contain a new kernel, as well as updated radio software, both of which involve lots of troubleshooting, not to mention all the other changes.  On top of that, HTC chooses to use their layover UI, and that has to be integrated with the Android source code.  It's all java isnt it?  No, it's Linux. 

0 Likes
QuietStormzx9
Contributor - Level 1

I HAVE TO AGREE WITH YOU ON THIS. THE HTC ONE X IS SHIPPED WITH ICS 4.0, IT HAS TO BE VERY SIMILAR. THE FUNNY THING IS WHEN ITS ROLLED OUR THE NEXT NEW THING WILL BE RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER. I THINK THEY ARE CALLING IT "JELLY BEAN".... MY NEXT DEVICE IS PROBABLY GONNA BE AN IPHONE AS LONG AS ITS 4G AND HOPEFULLY A LARGER SCREEN. AT LEAST WHEN THEIR SOFTWARE UPDATES ARE RELEASED, ITS AVAILABLE FOR ALL OF THEIR DEVICES.

0 Likes
jonesytv
Enthusiast - Level 1

demmo, how can you defend the indefensible?

they all have calendars.  they know what was promised.

they didn't deliver.

period.  no sense in defending bad business.

but you do!

these companies don't realize how far and apology or a statement would go.

but all we have heard is crickets...

0 Likes