Screen turning off when it shouldnt?
ACWN
Enthusiast - Level 3

This started a month or so ago, I thought an app was to blame as it started after I downloaded the app and stopped when I uninstalled it, but as of late its been doing it randomly regardless of what I do.

I will turn my phone's screen on and unlock it to do something... I can be in the middle of just about anything or not doing anything at all and the screen will just turn off. My screen is set to time out after a minute of inactivity, and usually when it times out it will go dark but not off (I can still see the screen a little), if I tap it, it comes back on. But this will happen in about 10 - 20 seconds, 30 seconds or so max and the screen goes completely off regardless of what I'm doing and I have to turn it back on via the power button.

Sometimes ending one app or another stops it, but recently it didnt. I even uninstalled a recently installed new app, thinking it was that... didnt fix it. Restarting the phone doesnt stop it.

Does any one know whats going on and how to fix it/make it stop?

0 Likes
Re: Screen turning off when it shouldnt?
cscilley
Enthusiast - Level 3

Try holding down the button, and when the menu comes up, touch "restart" instead of "shut down".  It takes a while for it to start up again and will look like the screen froze, but just be patient.  This closes all the apps and restarts the phone. 

Carolyn

0 Likes
ACWN
Enthusiast - Level 3

Quoting my original post: Sometimes ending one app or another stops it, but recently it didnt. I even uninstalled a recently installed new app, thinking it was that... didnt fix it. Restarting the phone doesnt stop it.

Appreciate you trying though.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello ACWN,

That can be quite a nuisance to have the screen turn off while typing a message or surfing the web. We can see what's making it do this. Now this can be caused by an application. You can find out once and for all if it is an application by putting the phone into Safe Mode http://bit.ly/XgRBUh and using it as normal for about a day. If it runs as normal, then you may need to remove applications or even completely reset your phone to avoid from any app conflicts.

If you are alright with resetting your home screen layout (including widgets), you can reset the HTC Sense Data on the phone. I did see that some screen problems were solved with this. Simply go into Settings, Applications, Manage Applications, then All. Find HTC Sense Data, click into it, and hit the Clear data button.

Please let us know if either of those help or if you need additional assistance. Thanks!

MichelleG_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
ACWN
Enthusiast - Level 3

Appreciate it! Took so long for any one to reply that its stopped doing it - which is another thing I dont get. It just randomly starts and stops all on its own. But if/when it starts up again, I'll see if either of these help.

Thanks so much!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

ACWN wrote:

Appreciate it! Took so long for any one to reply that its stopped doing it - which is another thing I dont get. It just randomly starts and stops all on its own. But if/when it starts up again, I'll see if either of these help.

Thanks so much!

This is a peer to peer customer forum. Customers who read this forum don't answer every single post nor do they have a suggestion everything. A response from a VZW employee isn't guaranteed as well and won't happen immediately to let the customers have a chance to respond.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
ACWN
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yeah, I kinda figured that much.

0 Likes