Seeking Advice on Rejecting MR2 Update
bearx16
Contributor - Level 1

It appears that I may be on of the few very lucky TB users that has been satisfied with it's performance since I purchased it shortly after its' introduction.  I also rushed into the MR1 update and got lucky again.  When the MR2 came out I started checking again and went through all the ailments of everyone here.  Fortunately I quit checking for the update a few weeks back.  Two nights ago I caught a pop up window indicating there was an update available and the it would install in x.xx time and was counting down, same thing happened last night, both times I rejected the update.  

Will the update, now, be continually pushed to my phone and I have to hopefully catch the pop window and reject it or will the system figure out that I am rejecting the update and finally give up the push to update?  I sure don't want to be checking for the pop up window all the time.

Thanks for any information

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Seeking Advice on Rejecting MR2 Update
bearx16
Contributor - Level 1

hmmmmm I'm retired, I'm not good at making decisions anymore, I guess I'll play with skype a little longer then update.  Mobile Hot Spot is not that big of a deal to me yet.

Thanks to all for you thoughts on this matter.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
pat3332
Contributor - Level 2

I guess I don't really understand you're problem. I got the first OTA and my TBolt continued to work just fine. I downloaded this last one and it's still working fine, there were just a few changes that came with it, but I like most of them. One thing the update does is turn off the free hotspot, so I'd say that you're going to end up with the update being pushed to you whether you want it or not, so you might as well just relax and accept the update.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

the problem is that the update did nothing to improve the performance if your device already works fine. all it does is add more bloatware. there's NO reason to have to insatll it if you don't want to......particularly if you were fortunate enough to have the version of skype that previously worked on the tbolt. i was flawlessly making video calls until this update rendered skype useless. i can think of many reasons NOT to get the update....but no reason to get it. 

unfortunately though, i'm afraid it will force itself onto your device at some point. i don't know if there's anything that you could possibly disable to prevent it?

0 Likes
andr0id05
You may be able to keep declining it, but that doesn't seem like a likely solution. The only sure way I can think of to decline an OTA is to root your device.
0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

I had a CS rep informed me that there is a option in their system that can block users from recieving updates pushed to their device but from what I understand if they do this it will block all futher updates to your device as well..

I am not sure if this is true but have you tried calling CS and ask them if there is something they can do to restruct the updates.

0 Likes
bearx16
Contributor - Level 1

AZSALUKI wrote:

the problem is that the update did nothing to improve the performance if your device already works fine. all it does is add more bloatware. there's NO reason to have to insatll it if you don't want to......particularly if you were fortunate enough to have the version of skype that previously worked on the tbolt. i was flawlessly making video calls until this update rendered skype useless. i can think of many reasons NOT to get the update....but no reason to get it. 

unfortunately though, i'm afraid it will force itself onto your device at some point. i don't know if there's anything that you could possibly disable to prevent it?

Thanks for the replies and above is exactly why I don't want MR2.  As I am now hooked on skype with no idea when another update to fix the updates is coming I would just as soon stay on MR1.  Oh, did I say skype sure was working good on my TB? :smileyvery-happy: Thanks! AZSALUKI

I got the push notice earlier than usual today and paid more attention to the window.  I understand what "OK" and "reject" means and does, does anyone have any idea what "defer" will do if I select it?

0 Likes
bearx16
Contributor - Level 1

Wildman wrote:

I had a CS rep informed me that there is a option in their system that can block users from recieving updates pushed to their device but from what I understand if they do this it will block all futher updates to your device as well..

I am not sure if this is true but have you tried calling CS and ask them if there is something they can do to restruct the updates.

Sorry Wildman, forgot about your suggestion.  When I get some time I will give CS a call. 

Thanks!

0 Likes
Ambushbug

I'm sure they will continue to force push this OTA, I can't see them letting you opt out of it since it ends the free mobile hotspot. Pretty much the only option you would have is to {edited to comply with Terms of Service}

the phone.

0 Likes
pat3332
Contributor - Level 2

AZSALUKI wrote:

I don't disagree with that. I think the only performance improvement was probably to try to fix the random reboots, but like you said, if you didn't have the problem, you probably won't notice any change. The only extra Verizon addition that I saw was the MyVerizon app. I don't really need it since I have the unlimited hotspot, so I don't need to keep track of that data and I can choose not to use it. I just have it on because I like to know how much data I'm using even if it is unlimited and it's a little more convenient than doing it on the web site. Was there more than that added? I look at everything that is running pretty often and I haven't seen anything else. Not disputing you, I just want to know if there's something else I should be looking for.

I just don't think Verizon is going to let you keep using the free hotspot forever just because you don't update since that is costing them money. It's just my opinion that you will end up being charged for the hotspot even if you do manage to put the OTA off indefinitely. I wanted the $30.00 unlimited Hotspot and I wanted to make sure it would be my choice and not Verizon's because I think they prefer the tiered system to the unlimited. I really don't know if they can tell if you're using the hotspot. I use to think they could because the last time I got a bill in the mail, it showed both the phone data and hotspot data, but I'm not seeing that when I look at my bill on the web site.

As far as Skype, I don't use it, but I have read on other forums that some have had problems with Skype since the update and others haven't. And as usual, I've seen different fixes that work for some and not for others. Another update inconsistency. That seems to be one of the prices you pay with Android. There are so many different phones from different manufacturers that it's hard to do an update or develop an app that will work for all of them. Even those of us with the TBolt have different experiences. The alternative is the one I had before Android and I don't want to go there again.

The only thing that seems certain is that no one is certain about anything and it's all mainly just speculation. But, that's fun also.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

pat3332....i'm not sure? i know my verizon was added and i thought some forced bookmark was added to the browser? there may not have been any other apps added?? i can't check as i no longer have the stock OS  :smileywink:

0 Likes