Re: Since Update to ICS, Thunderbolt Restarts randomly, instantly draining battery by 80%
jennevans

Oh, and I forgot to say I also went in and did the cache clearing that HTC recommended (where you restart and the screen looks like it is in DOS mode). I also don't know if I have mentioned in previous posts that after it has crashed and told me there is only 3% or whatever, if I hooked it up to a charger, then it resets it to where it was before it crashed. It only has to be on long enough for me to restart the phone, and it is back to almost where it was (a teeny less sometimes after restarts).

Just got back from the local Verizon store and it crashed while there, and of course there is nothing he could do except try to make me change to the new plan-or buy a new phone outright for $500-$600. I

0 Likes
Re: Since Update to ICS, Thunderbolt Restarts randomly, instantly draining battery by 80%
RJPATEL
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having  the same problem, still can't figure out whats causing this. The phone was working fine before the update. The the phone works fine when it  is plugged into the out. I have  already tried Factory Reset.

0 Likes
Not applicable

We appreciate you clearing the cache partition as well as performing a hard & soft reset,  jennevans! I sure wish you all weren't having this rough time with the battery since the update. I have compiled your info from this thread in order to notify the software update team of the concerns since the update.

KellySM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Chief314
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having the same issues with the instant battery drain upon spontaneous shut down & then manual power up, rebooting the phone automatically at no specific times and/or reasons, and the "please wait while we set up your SIM card and activate your phone". This just started recently on my ThunderBolt and also my wife's ThunderBolt. We both updated our phones with ICS the same day (the same day they became available for update which was a few months ago), and both have started acting like this just recently. If it was a problem with an app downloaded, I could understand why mine is doing it, however, she doesn't download apps as much as I do. In fact, she probably hasn't downloaded an app recently in the last month or two (unless it was a game for the kids to use, which could have been recent).

Just this morning, my phone has randomly shut itself off 5 times. Each time I've manually turned it back on, it's shown at least 50% less battery than what I had prior. At one point this morning (after being on the charger all night long, and showing a 100% charge), within about 1 hour, it shut itself off and then showed a 64% charge. Within 15 minutes, it shut itself off again (I WASN'T DOING ANYTHING WITH THE PHONE, it was simply in my holster on my hip). Then when I turned it back on, it showed 3% charge, and wouldn't turn back on until I plugged it into the wall charger. Once it turned back on, it showed a 79% charge and was charging. While our phones are plugged into a charger (car or wall), they don't crash like this.

I'm about to pull the SIM card & SD card, and reboot the phone in regular mode. If that doesn't work, I'm gonna try putting the SIM card back in, but leaving the SD card out and rebooting in SAFE mode for 24 hours, to see if that helps. If it doesn't crash while in SAFE mode, then I'll put the SD card back in and restart it once more. Hopefully, I'll be able to post a reply on my comment here by Monday stating it worked. But if not, I'll be posting my results and hopefully a Verizon CSR or Tech rep will have other suggestions.

Our phones have also recently been popping up other issues of certain things that aren't working or have shutdown. One of them states something about the UI not working or has shut down. The next time I see any error on either of our phones, I'll be sure to either take a screen shot of it or write down the exact error and post them on here in a reply as well.

0 Likes
RJPATEL
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have contacted HTC still no response from them, I think this is happening again (there was a software glitch in 2011) according to the article

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2011/07/10/htc_thunderbolt_owners_rejoice_reboot_glitch_fi...

Since its launch, HTC Thunderbolt owners have complained over the excessive amounts of forced reboots caused by their device, having their phone just shut off at random points.

Both Verizon and HTC acknowledged the issue and said a software glitch was to blame, with a fix on the way.

While the update is not for Android 2.3, it is a large maintenance update.

Change log of the update being rolled out:

Improved data connectivity.
Enhanced Call History view.
Reduced number of device power cycles and resets.
Improved Bluetooth Discovery Mode pop-up window.
View App Menu in tabbed layout.
People search function enabled.
Backup Assistant has been added to the All Apps menu.
Preloaded My Verizon, V CAST Music and V CAST Videos.
Desktop cradle App is now available, showing clock in landscape m
NY Times site has been added into the browser bookmarks.
jlgh

KellySM_VZW,

I have (allegedly) an open trouble ticket for the issue of the phone reporting strong signal, but ON A REGULAR BASIS stating that the network type is 'unknown'. It will also randomly drop data connection, and not regain it for a while, all the time reporting strong signal.  I also have had the intermittent 'Activating' issue.  In addition, SMS and MMS messages have severe problems with send and receive (eg: I sent a MMS video to my brother on 9/14, and it finally 'sent' from my device on 9/19) I had my SIM replaced at a Verizon store to see if it would get rid of the 'activating' issue, no luck.  Hard reset, no luck, New SD card with hard reset, no luck.  I'm tired of hard reset, and the horrible process of reconfiguring after each one.  Someone needs to take a long, hard look at the last set of updates deployed to these phones (not the GB update, the most recent one which was pushed out in Spring) and either back them out, or patch whatever is causing the network problems.  It's not a device problem, as my wife (with same model phone) had hers replaced and it still does the same thing. 

Verizon did this to themselves by revoking grandfathered data rights and forcing people into share plans with upgrades and renewals.  As these older devices lose more and more support, VZ is going to come into more of these issues.  How VZ manages these customer service problems of what seem to be a very large scale will impact the business immensely.

I think VZ needs to revisit their pricing plans, and at least make it so that if a user is moving from an unlimited plan to a capped or tiered plan, that the net cost of service is LESS, and not more for that comparable service and usage levels. And for devices like the TB, which was supposed to be a flagship product, but turned out to be a pile of excrement due to the repeated problems, there should be some kind of process by which devices can be upgraded/replaced without having to move to a less cost effective service plan, simply because 'big red' feels they need to take more money for less service.

0 Likes
Chief314
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, the previous weekend didn't change much. So my wife and I both took out our extended batteries and put in the standard batteries that came with the phones. We both put them on the chargers for a full charge. So far, neither phone has crashed due to battery drain. Which leads me to believe, it must be that the life of our extended batteries has met it's end. I have found some replacement batteries on eBay (a 2 pack bundle for about $14), I just need to double check the amps/volts are the same as what we originally purchased with the extended batteries. I guess, the life is only about 18 months for those batteries.

Now, as soon as our upgrade date somes along in January, we'll be getting some different phones. Loved the ThunderBolt, but it's time for something newer.

RJPATEL
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have cleared the cache and did factory reset, still the phone will reboot. I think its the battery problem.  I really hate ordering from Amazon. I have called HTC they have stated to order the battery from  HTC Depot . Chief314  here is the link http://www.htcdepot.com

KathyH_VZW
Verizon Employee

We appreciate you clearing the cache partition as well as performing a hard & soft reset,  jennevans! I sure wish you all weren't having this rough time with the battery since the update. I have compiled your info from this thread in order to notify the software update team of the concerns since the update.

KathyH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Shivmaker
Enthusiast - Level 1

I too have been experiencing this issue as well as a very significant delay in dialing out numbers. From time to time, I can experience as much as a two minute delay after making a phone call prior to getting any indication that the call is going through. Relevant to the battery issue, on a recent trip with my family, the car I was borrowing broke down on a remote mountainous road. After speaking with Verizon to invoke the Roadside Assistance, my phone rebooted and had a slim fraction of power left. Needless to say, this was a very very bad time to have these issues. If there is a rep who can see my account, you will be able to see the notes regarding the incident.

Please get this fixed, it can make a huge difference in someone's day. A factory reset was ineffective and I'm on my 3rd or 4th Thunderbolt because of the call lag issue. Now that the battery is messing up, I'm close to swearing off of HTC phones for good.

0 Likes