Skype going to Microsoft
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

I just read this on Android central now I wonder if this will affect us getting Skype video on the Thunderbolt. I downloaded the leaked skypevideo.apk and it works great so I can only speculate that politics has to do with us not getting it through Verizon or the Androidmarket. 

http://www.androidcentral.com/its-official-folks-microsofts-buying-skype

0 Likes
Re: Skype going to Microsoft
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

I guess the best thing for Android to do is get 2.3 out to all of us so we can use the google chat w/ video. Now that would be nice but we'll probably have to wait for god knows how long to get Gingerbread... 

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

MS has to honor the deal between Verizon and Skype.  Much like the contracts between Altell customers and Verizon.

It's actually beneficial for MS to continue with what Verizon and Skype have.  They already have an agreement with MS for BING.  Why not Skype as well?

We can only speculate what happens after the fact. 2.3.3 will NOT have Google Talk with video.  It will have to be 2.3.4, and this may be the delay right now, as HTC has been good about bringing the latest version when an update happens while they are working on their updates.

0 Likes
gina7289
Contributor - Level 2
I heard it might be in this new update.
0 Likes
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

Tidbits wrote:

MS has to honor the deal between Verizon and Skype.  Much like the contracts between Altell customers and Verizon.

It's actually beneficial for MS to continue with what Verizon and Skype have.  They already have an agreement with MS for BING.  Why not Skype as well?

We can only speculate what happens after the fact. 2.3.3 will NOT have Google Talk with video.  It will have to be 2.3.4, and this may be the delay right now, as HTC has been good about bringing the latest version when an update happens while they are working on their updates.

It might be wishful thinking that the Thunderbolt  will see Gingerbread anytime soon but since the Nexus S is already slated to get 2.3.4 and the video chat is already working on those devices it shouldn't be to hard to get it going on the Thunderbolt. But we are talking about the Thunderbolt and updates are already failing so maybe Gingerbread is just a pipe dream.

http://www.androidcentral.com/face-video-chat-nexus-s

0 Likes
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

Got a thunderbolt and want Skype video here's a link. I downloaded one of the mirror links and it works great. 

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/04/11/download-skype-with-video-on-android/ 

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

GreenRobot wrote:

Tidbits wrote:

It might be wishful thinking that the Thunderbolt  will see Gingerbread anytime soon but since the Nexus S is already slated to get 2.3.4 and the video chat is already working on those devices it shouldn't be to hard to get it going on the Thunderbolt. But we are talking about the Thunderbolt and updates are already failing so maybe Gingerbread is just a pipe dream.

http://www.androidcentral.com/face-video-chat-nexus-s

Nexus S is a developers device, not a consumer device...  There's a HUGE difference...  During the whole time 2.3.4 was being developed...  It was developed for the Nexus S, and no other devices...  hense it getting it first... and all other devices now have to work out things to make it work for their devices.

As for a MR release for the TB that's just it a MR and not gingerbread.  This is the same crap everyone is crying about and saying HTC is better at OS updates...  They said sometime Q2 we will have gingerbread which is sometime April, May, June.  2.3.3 will be more than likely for us, but I wouldn't be surprised if we do get 2.3.4, but gingerbread update may be delayed for testing.

0 Likes
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

Nexus S is a developers device, not a consumer device...  There's a HUGE difference...  During the whole time 2.3.4 was being developed...  It was developed for the Nexus S, and no other devices...  hense it getting it first... and all other devices now have to work out things to make it work for their devices.

As for a MR release for the TB that's just it a MR and not gingerbread.  This is the same crap everyone is crying about and saying HTC is better at OS updates...  They said sometime Q2 we will have gingerbread which is sometime April, May, June.  2.3.3 will be more than likely for us, but I wouldn't be surprised if we do get 2.3.4, but gingerbread update may be delayed for testing.

As a consumer I can buy a Nexus S and I'm no developer. I have seen nexus devices and the only differences I could see are like you said they are the first to get the latest offerings from Google and don't have overlays like motoblur, sense, etc. Hence the reason I wish Verizon would get a strait google device. Verizon not having one of these devices is the only reason I've considered jumping ship to t-mobile. 

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

MS will find a way to mess up a nice thing, its must be in their hand book :smileyhappy:, they have screwed up so many other things, why not this  :smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

GreenRobot wrote:

As a consumer I can buy a Nexus S and I'm no developer. I have seen nexus devices and the only differences I could see are like you said they are the first to get the latest offerings from Google and don't have overlays like motoblur, sense, etc. Hence the reason I wish Verizon would get a strait google device. Verizon not having one of these devices is the only reason I've considered jumping ship to t-mobile. 

Again it's a DEVELOPERS device and NOT a consumers device.  Just like any developers devices out there anyone can purchase them.  Their main INTENTION is for development, and not for consumer use.  There's a difference.

Look at the G1 and the MyTouch for example there was two versions, and people ended up hacking their G1/MyTouch with the developers version of the software to do what they wanted.  Google changed it with the introduction with the N1 and their future developers devices.

The reason why Verizon will never get a developers device is because Android is hardcoded GSM by default.  Google has to rewrite code to make a CDMA version... Hense why the N1 never came to Sprint or Verizon like they originally intended...

0 Likes