Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Smiley problems
dsp14

When I send smileys my recepients only receives the stick smileys, or blank box.  Same when people send them to me, unless its from another smartphone.  I had a dare before the HTC Thunderbolt, and used them all the time with no problems.  Does anyone have any info on this?  I've tried different messaging apps.

0 Likes
Re: Smiley problems
Wildman
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

Are you clicking menu and adding emotions or are you just typing the expression with keyboard?  Maybe the method you are using may be causing the issue because mine has been working fine and I have recieved messages from smart and none smartphones and the emotions seem to be working fine.

0 Likes
Ann154
Expert
Expert

dsp14 wrote:

When I send smileys the recepients only receives the stick smileys.  Same when people send them to me, unless its from another smartphones.  I had a dare before the HTC Thunderbolt, and used them all the time with no problems.  Does anyone have any info on this?

Android smartphones like the Thunderbolt use three symbols combinations to create the smiley icons.  Other phones may only use two symbol combinations.  To create the :smileyhappy: "happy smiley", android uses : - ) with spaces added between for emphasis on this forum.  Other phones may only use : ) to create the same symbol (without the space).  When you use the default messaging app, you can see how the smileys are created on the Thunderbolt.  In the test message field, press the menu button > More > Insert Smiley. A menu will be displayed showing all the available smileys.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
DaisyP_VZW
Verizon Employee

Good afternoon and thank you all for your replies.

OP:

Additionally, I would like to add that it also depends on the device that is sending or receiving the smiley faces. For example some devices don't receive the actual smiley faces and just the simple smiley faces.  This seems to be more common when it's a Smartphone sending/receiving a smiley face to/ from a feature phone. 

0 Likes