Software Update Doesn't Work - Now getting software error message
Rochelle

The software update still doesn't work.  Now when I get the red triangle with the red exclamation point, when I start to remove the back of the phone I get an orange error message that takes up most of the screen.  At the end of the message it says that there is a problem with the ota__.zip package.  Then it gives me the option of rebooting.

Does anyone know if/when this software problem will be fixed?

I would definitely not recommend this phone to anyone.  Phone doesn't work, VZ and HTC can't fix the problem. 

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Software Update Doesn't Work - Now getting software error message
Wildman
Legend

Are you down loading on network data or wifi because it sounds like you have a weak data connection that may be corrupting the download, try connecting to wifi and download the update again.

0 Likes
Rochelle

It is not my problem!!  First of all, I don't ask for the download to start.  It starts on its own, several times a day.  Second, I use WiFi connection because 4G rarely works.

Third, I did everything Verizon said to do - I went to a local VZ Wireless store where they did a factory reset.  Then they tried the download - it took 3 hours to download and then the update failed.

Up until today the phone itself (not me) tried to download and apply the update several times per day.  Each time it fails.  The screen displays a black background with a red triangle with a red exclamation point through it.  Up until today I had to remove the back of the phone and then remove and replace the battery to unlock the phone.

Today when I started to remove the back of the phone the orange error messages appeared as stated in my original post.

Verizon also recommended talking to HTC which I did and they had no idea what the problem was.

Verizon also told me that if the update still failed after the factory reset they would send me a new phone.  I said okay but they sent me a used phone instead (factory refurbished).  They said they should not have told me they would send me a new phone.  Then they said that when I return the phone if it gets lost then Verizon will bill me for the phone and I will have to get the money back from Fedex.  Outrageous!  Verizon didn't send me the phone they said they would and then said I would be billed for the cost of the phone if Fedex lost it.  I have never experienced such poor "customer service"  (or should I say customer unservice).

I prefer Android and Microsoft Windows to anything Apple but I am seriously considering getting an iphone since this phone doesn't work and isn't supported.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

I understood everything you posted earlier but you asked for a solution and I gave you something to consider because in the end your issue is the the download is becoming corrupted somehow and unless you get a clean RUU a solution will be hard to find...

I do not agree with the method or how replacement policies are being handled but I do not see anyone being able to direct you on a different solution, if you are not open to investigate suggestions you wont find a solution.

If a solution is a must have now situation I suggest you read a few forums around because there is several solutions to get a clean installation on your device.

0 Likes
crshinn
Contributor - Level 1

I can empathize with how frustrated you are because I had a ton of issues with my previous phone (Samsung Fascinate) but it really seems that there is something corrupted with your phone.  I would recommend just letting Verizon ship you a refurbished phone (they look brand new so I don't know why you're so upset about it).  I've had several refurb phones and it's really not a big deal.

0 Likes
crshinn
Contributor - Level 1

Rochelle wrote:

It is not my problem!!  First of all, I don't ask for the download to start.  It starts on its own, several times a day.  Second, I use WiFi connection because 4G rarely works.

Third, I did everything Verizon said to do - I went to a local VZ Wireless store where they did a factory reset.  Then they tried the download - it took 3 hours to download and then the update failed.

There's no way it would take 3 hours on Wi-fi.  Have you tried turning off the mobile network so that you know for sure that it's only on Wi-fi and doing a manual update?

0 Likes