Re: Software update not available?
Wunderbolt

I told them that I didn't  think they it was fair that I had to pay for a data package that was half a$$ working,  and that they shouldn't have released a 4g phone before they had a reliable network to operate it on.  I was pretty **bleep** because my 14 day trial ended during the nationwide 4g outage last weekend. I assumed the outage was because of the tornados we had here in the South, and that would have been understandable.  But it was strange that my wifes incredible only lost 3g for a few hours, and My Wunderbolt was down for 4 days.  So now I'm stuck with Verizion and this piece of crap phone for 2 more years.

0 Likes
thomjwilson
Enthusiast - Level 3

Is anyone able to get the update in Arizona? I am still getting service not available. I have been reading all over the web that they pushed the update, but I have yet to be able to get it.

0 Likes
dezertedsky

Im in Phoenix and all i ever get when i check is SERVICE UNAVAILABLE. When I called Support they had no clue what to do.

0 Likes
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

dezertedsky wrote:

Im in Phoenix and all i ever get when i check is SERVICE UNAVAILABLE. When I called Support they had no clue what to do.

Ditto! I called to tell them that mine would give an error when on 4g and my replacement device tonight gives me error on both 3 and 4g.....

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend
Same here. Service unavailable......phoenix.
0 Likes
thomjwilson
Enthusiast - Level 3

Do you think maybe it is because G is awesome here in the Phoenix area, they are letting everyone else have it first, or maybe they think we don't need the update? I mean, I do have a few issues, but overall, I have had pretty good luck with the T-Bolt.

0 Likes
krept
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello,

I'm in Phoenix and was having the same trouble yesterday. I ended up finally downloading the update, but it required a significant work around. I'll post a little more info in the next post, but in case that is deleted, the full information can be found on the Android Central forums for the Thunderbolt. I posted under the same user name there and the thread is titled, "Error Service Unavailable message in my area"

Apologies in advance for the obsurity, I don't have time to fully read the ToS to determine if, for example, linking directly to other forums is a no-no.

0 Likes
krept
Enthusiast - Level 2

What I did was put the phone into CDMA only mode. Note, not CDMA auto (PRL) but simply CDMA only. I'm not sure about the technical aspects, but what happened is my phone went from toggling 3g/4g to 1x. (edit - there are applications that can do this, but I did it manually via google search - thunderbolt toggle cdma manually - or words to that effect.)

After trying literally dozens of methods from toggling wifi, using CDMA auto (PRL), waiting for 4g, 3g and all permutations, 1x was the only one that worked and it worked the very first time. Data transfer was slow, taking about 40 minutes to download the update. During this time, I'm not sure if you can receive calls, etc. so do so at your own risk.

Then I switched back to the old setting - CDMA + LTE/EvDo auto - and went back to the "update" screen, checked for update and the phone notified me it was rebooting, finishing the process. After reboot (some time) the patch was applied.

NOW... here is the problem.

The internet worked well yesterday. This morning it is now buggy again, just like pre-patch. When I try to update, I get the same error message. When I follow the above method again, it DOES connect, but says that no new updates are available. To me this indicates the patch was applied, or it was pulled.

Thus, it does not appear the patch solved the problem in the Phoenix area. It could be my location, but I'm downtown and standing still, can observe it bouncing between 4g and 3g. Hope I'm wrong!

PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Go to Settings-About Phone-Software Information.  If the Software number ends in 605.7, then you have the update

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

thomjwilson wrote:

Do you think maybe it is because G is awesome here in the Phoenix area, they are letting everyone else have it first, or maybe they think we don't need the update? I mean, I do have a few issues, but overall, I have had pretty good luck with the T-Bolt.

the batches are sent out based on your MEID (supposedly....although it's odd to me that nobody in AZ has access to it??). after reading all of the issues i think i'll just not bother with it. the only issues i've had is GPS not locking on quickly (which there is a workaround for), and the poor audio when shooting videos on the cam. i can live with those for now as opposed to some of the issues others are having with the update. i have no connectivity problems and phone, messaging, web, skype, etc all work fine so i'm leaning towards passing on the update. 

0 Likes