Something Strange W/ Software Update
MDagg77

I had to get my 4G SIM card replaced recently.  Before I had to get it replaced, I could run S.U. ANYTIME and it would tell me that if there was/was not an update for my Thunderbolt.  Now with the new SIM card, if I run it, it won't tell me if there is or is not an update as it did before.  I am thinking either the phone is screwed up or it's the SIM card.  How can I tell which one is messed up??

0 Likes
Re: Something Strange W/ Software Update
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

What does your phone tell you if you try and check for an update?  AFAIK, the SIM card only enables your 4G connection.  If you still have 4G service, I would assume that your SIM card is ok, however, I don't know what would cause your phone to suddenly not be able to check for updates.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

MDagg77 wrote:

I had to get my 4G SIM card replaced recently.  Before I had to get it replaced, I could run S.U. ANYTIME and it would tell me that if there was/was not an update for my Thunderbolt.  Now with the new SIM card, if I run it, it won't tell me if there is or is not an update as it did before.  I am thinking either the phone is screwed up or it's the SIM card.  How can I tell which one is messed up??

What do you mean S.U.??  Are you speaking SuperUser becauce if you are that should not have ran on a stock device...  Did you modify your device?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
It might also mean Software Update.

That is the first time I have ever seen anyone type it that though.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

I took it as software update also.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Ok, I havent seen anyone type it that was so it was a bit unclear...  Thanks for clearification...

Now with this info I would say the OP isnt SIM card it sounds like the replacement device may have the latest software..  Check Settings / About Phone /  Software Information / Software Number and see if it reads 1.70.605.0..

Here is the release notes that should have the latest information on the build for the TB... http://support.vzw.com/pdf/system_update/thunderbolt.pdf

0 Likes
pat3332
Contributor - Level 2

Before the last OTA, there were several of us who had what sounds like the same problem. The Software Update had been working fine, then suddenly stopped giving any kind of notification. After tapping on Check new, it would look like it was checking, then just stop and not give any of the usual messages. We never got an explanation of why this was happening, but for some, myself included, it suddenly started working again and we finally got the update. Others never started working and I believe some resorted to a CLN phone replacement and others got a new SIM card. It may be your phone, but it sounds like you may end up needing another new SIM card since the problem started after you replaced it.

Let us know what you do and if you get the problem fixed.

0 Likes
Lt-Belspur
Enthusiast - Level 3

When your Software Update does not reply it means that there is a software update ready but not released yet for your phone.

Verizon does not push the update to all the phones at the same time. Its done in stages. Which can take a while depending on how may phones are out there.

I wish they would allow  the updates to come over the WI-FI. It would go a lot faster.

It took 4 weeks to get the MR2 update.

You have to be patient.

0 Likes
akararules

I'm having that problem but I have had it ever since I got my phone about 2 months ago so I doubt your reasoning is correct

0 Likes
Lt-Belspur
Enthusiast - Level 3

You need to call customer service to make sure your phone is in the database.

This has been explained to me by two senior Verizon network support.

This happened on my 3 Thunderbolts with the MR2 update.

0 Likes