Still having data problems after all the fixes. Should I wait to return?
thebigthn

Hi there, I've had the Thunderbolt for about a week now.  I've been having the data connection problems like everyone else, especially right after I end Internet Connection Mode.

I did all the fixes, like factory reset, dialing the *#*#4636#*#* and the ##778 options, but to no avail.  I can only guess it's the network that's having problems.  I live in Spokane, WA and I know that they're probably testing out 4G in the area, so this might be the reason why the phone may be having connection problems.

But what should I do?  What will happen when 4G turns on and yet my phone still has the connection problems?  Will I be out of luck, since I'll be out of my 14 day return window?  Overall, I still like the phone, but I don't want to keep it if there's somthing wrong with the phone itself.

0 Likes
Re: Still having data problems after all the fixes. Should I wait to return?
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

I contacted HTC and got this email back. I tried it and have gotten much better internet connection and battery life. Also try clearing your cache, cookie data, and history every now and then. 

HTC

"With regards to network hopping - basically the device flips between no data connectivity and 4g/3g. We have been escalating these cases as needed for further analysis as well. In almost all cases, the carrier, being Verizon, has been able to reprovision the SIM card which should fix the issue. If your issue is not fixed by this method, we would like to have your issue escalated, and we would be happy to contact you by phone to perform all the necessary steps and then escalate the issue as required. We do have some examples of this issue at our escalations desk currently, and are working with the developers to narrow down the cause and find a solution as quickly as possible."

0 Likes
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

Also make sure "Data roaming" is checked. Menu > settings > wireless & networks > mobile networks > then check the box next to data roaming.  

0 Likes
thebigthn
Does reprovisioning mean going back to verizon and getting a new sim card? Also, wouldn't enabling data while roaming incur roaming charges?
0 Likes
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

The reprovision is done over the phone by tech support 1-866-221-4096 opt 3 call them from another phone as they will need to do things to your T-bolt. Takes about 15min. 

I hope that selecting the data roaming doesn't incur charges since HTC told me to make sure that was checked but that could depend on your plan. I have personally never gotten overage or roaming charges. 

Also try to stay away from the stores, they rarely know anything about your device and will only cause you frustration. Example I had an in store csr tell me that my battery cover being loose wont cause data connection issues because the antenna is built into the phone not the cover..... I had to prove it to him by removing the cover and trying to access the net ( it couldn't ) then reinstalled the cover to show how magically my connection returned. He returned to behind his computer to order my replacement cover without further discussion 😄

0 Likes
JaySean
Contributor - Level 1

i also had data issues, i called them but they said the sim card is fine. I'm still having alot of issues here to the point where im contemplating getting the iPhone 4

0 Likes
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

JaySean wrote:

i also had data issues, i called them but they said the sim card is fine. I'm still having alot of issues here to the point where im contemplating getting the iPhone 4

I'm sure they did say it was fine and in that techs opinion it might be but that tech or csr might not have the proper training or knowledge of what you or HTC is asking them to do. Example: I called and told them to reprovision my sim card and the first tech I got then instructed me on how to clear my cache and internet history. So I called HTC back and they told me "no that is not a sim card reprovision and to insist that a tech do the procedure". So I called vzw tech support again and requested the same thing " reprovision the sim card " and what do you know the tech said ok no problem. 

If they do what your asking they will have you power down the device > remove the battery > pull the sim card out > wait > then reinstall everything > and power up the device. After that they might have you check a few settings and your done. 

So don't let a CSR that doesn't know how to address this issue give you bad feelings toward your Thunderbolt. I will admit that at first I was a little upset about the issues I was having and started to think I was going to have to deal with it till the next 4G device that I would consider a reputable replacement came out ( cause I won't go to an Iphone ever ). Now that I've had my T-Bolt for a few weeks you can't take it away from me. My issues with it have dwindled and my love for it has sky rocketed. 

But if you want to jump ship for a 3G, tiny screened, locked down, no widget, pay for everything, itunes, update via usb, soon to be / already out dated, expensive device then more power to ya. In few months when updates roll out and when gingerbread becomes available for the T-Bolt you'll be looking over the shoulders of those that stuck with it and say " I wish my phone could do that ". lol I kid but seriously stick to your guns and demand VZW to the reprovision because if it does for you what it did to my T-Bolt you will regain confidence and love this device. 

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

thebigthn wrote:
Does reprovisioning mean going back to verizon and getting a new sim card? Also, wouldn't enabling data while roaming incur roaming charges?

data roaming is fine to have on. i've got to believe you're on a nationwide plan (don't know if they even have plans anymore that aren't nationwide). the only problem with data roaming is if you're very near a border. i don't know where spokane is but if it were right on the border, and your phone had data roaming enabled, and it grabbed the signal from towers across the boarder from time to time, then you would incur international roaming fees. but if you're not near a boarder then leave it enabled.

0 Likes
EdW_VZW
Verizon Employee

Thanks for your feed back. Adding to what was stated with consideration to changing out the sim card, the area in Spokane, WA. does show it to be on a 4G extended area for coverage. There is access to the 4G LTE network within the Extended Coverage Area; however certain conditions may cause your service to connect to 3G in this Area. If the issue is based upon the coverage area for your specific location, the device may not always be able to overcome the conditions that make it connect to 3G. Even thought we are working on improving and extending the area to have the desired 4G connection, we hope that this area can experience a more stronger 4G presence over the 3G limitations. 

I am providing you a link to the coverage as mentioned at the web site. The link is: 

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/CoverageLocatorController?requesttype=NEWREQUEST&zip=60123&city=E... 

0 Likes
JaySean
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks for the info..yea i'm not going to the iPhone..No need to when i have my thunderbolt. 

0 Likes