Text Message crashes on start up
sblazer815

I am on the 3rd Thunderbolt and when you try to open text messaging you get a screen that says "com.android.mms has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.'  The only option is force close. Has anyone found a fix, Verizon does not have a clue other than clearing the cache.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Text Message crashes on start up
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Sounds like your data for the Messages app may be corrupt.  You can try going into Settings-Applications-Manage Applications, select the all tab and scroll down to and select Messages. Hit Clear Data.  You may have to reconfigure any settings within the Messages app but your actual messages should be safe.  If you're worried, you can use something from the market like SMS Backup & Restore or MyBackup Pro to back up your messages.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Sounds like your data for the Messages app may be corrupt.  You can try going into Settings-Applications-Manage Applications, select the all tab and scroll down to and select Messages. Hit Clear Data.  You may have to reconfigure any settings within the Messages app but your actual messages should be safe.  If you're worried, you can use something from the market like SMS Backup & Restore or MyBackup Pro to back up your messages.

0 Likes
sblazer815

Thanks just reset messages and now it works hope it keeps working.

0 Likes
sblazer815

The fix unfortunately only lasted about 48 hours does anybody have any more suggestions?

Spoiler

0 Likes
Not applicable

Sblazer815, I'm sorry to hear that your issue came back. Clearing cache/data from applications does resolve many issues, but if it keeps coming back there is a software issue with that particular application. Have you installed any third party SMS applications? If so, try uninstalling. Next, boot the phone into safe mode to see if the issue still occurs. This disables third party applications to make sure one of them isn't causing the issue. If the SMS is still not working in safe mode, the last step would be a factory reset. This will erase all data and reset it to default settings. You will need to make sure your contacts are backed up to either Google, Backup Assistant or your SD card. 

0 Likes
sblazer815

Phone 2 & 3 as soon as they were activated I pressed the icon for messages and immediately the com.android.mms came up.

0 Likes
RMLJ
Contributor - Level 1
Sounds like something on your sd card to me.
0 Likes
ChristinaB_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hi sblazer815,

Thanks to the community for your responses. 

Please try going into Settings-Applications-Manage Applications, select the "All" tab at the top of the screen, scroll down to and select Messages, then clearing the data again.

I would also like to ask, before this issue happened again, did you try any of the steps provided by Marquia? Here is her posting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Sblazer815, I'm sorry to hear that your issue came back. Clearing cache/data from applications does resolve many issues, but if it keeps coming back there is a software issue with that particular application. Have you installed any third party SMS applications? If so, try uninstalling. Next, boot the phone into safe mode to see if the issue still occurs. This disables third party applications to make sure one of them isn't causing the issue. If the SMS is still not working in safe mode, the last step would be a factory reset. This will erase all data and reset it to default settings. You will need to make sure your contacts are backed up to either Google, Backup Assistant or your SD card. 

MarquiaF_VZW

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try this and let us know the results. Thanks very much!

0 Likes