Text message error count .
D8

My thunderbolt is showing there is one unread text message when there isn't. I have deleted all the messages, and tried restarting the phone, but hasn't worked. Anybody know what can fix my problem?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Text message error count .
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

I can't fix the problem and I don't think anyone can till there is an update that takes care of that but I do know how to clear that pesky message noification bubble. 

Press Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage applications > All > scroll down to Messages > Clear data 

It clears what your talking about ever time but it will come back from time to time. I sometimes will leave it because once you get another message and the count goes to 2 once you open the new message the count usually goes away. 

HTC warned me that doing this might delete all my messages but it hasn't done that at all. 

D8 wrote:

My thunderbolt is showing there is one unread text message when there isn't. I have deleted all the messages, and tried restarting the phone, but hasn't worked. Anybody know what can fix my problem?

View solution in original post

0 Likes
BeeHaven

I had the same thing happen a couple of times...I found that for some reason, it is counting a birthday or anniversary or an email that is unread from one of your contacts. Scroll through your contact list and you will most likely see a green "1" over someone's name. Click on it and clear it out...problem solved...

0 Likes
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

I can't fix the problem and I don't think anyone can till there is an update that takes care of that but I do know how to clear that pesky message noification bubble. 

Press Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage applications > All > scroll down to Messages > Clear data 

It clears what your talking about ever time but it will come back from time to time. I sometimes will leave it because once you get another message and the count goes to 2 once you open the new message the count usually goes away. 

HTC warned me that doing this might delete all my messages but it hasn't done that at all. 

D8 wrote:

0 Likes
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

BeeHaven wrote:

I had the same thing happen a couple of times...I found that for some reason, it is counting a birthday or anniversary or an email that is unread from one of your contacts. Scroll through your contact list and you will most likely see a green "1" over someone's name. Click on it and clear it out...problem solved...

I have not heard of this but now I'm interested to see if its true. Thank You. 

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Have you tried deleting the shortcut on the home page and then adding it back.

My Eris would do something similar where the unread count would stay on the icon (email or messages) eve though I had read the messages or emails. Deleting the icon and re-adding always cleared it until the next time.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

Ann154 wrote:

My Eris would do something similar where the unread count would stay on the icon (email or messages) eve though I had read the messages or emails. Deleting the icon and re-adding always cleared it until the next time.

The thing is the little bubble with the message count wont be on the short cut but when you go to all messages there will be a blue bubble with a false message count on the all messages and SMS/MMS icons in that screen. So I don't know if deleteing the short cut will do it in this case. 

The procedure I gave above was from an HTC csr and it does work. Also like I said if you just ignore it till you get another text it will usually go away after opening the new text. 

0 Likes
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

GreenRobot wrote:

BeeHaven wrote:

I have not heard of this but now I'm interested to see if its true. Thank You. 

Ironically after discussing this I got the blue bubble with a 1 in it and no unread messages. So I ran through my contacts and found no indication of a green 1 and my calendar has no anniversaries or birthdays today. Before I could go through my normal process of clearing via " manage applications " I received a couple texts and magically it was gone. 

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

GreenRobot wrote:

Ann154 wrote:

The thing is the little bubble with the message count wont be on the short cut but when you go to all messages there will be a blue bubble with a false message count on the all messages and SMS/MMS icons in that screen. So I don't know if deleteing the short cut will do it in this case. 

The procedure I gave above was from an HTC csr and it does work. Also like I said if you just ignore it till you get another text it will usually go away after opening the new text. 

I see what you are saying now. It has happened to me too.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes