Thunderbolt 4g handoff issue
egosumgoofy
Enthusiast - Level 1
I am having an issue with my ability to use the 4g network. If I ever go off network due to a bad signal or a non-LTE area, my phone drops to 3g as expected, and everything is fine. The problem occurs when I reenter a 4g coverage zone. The phone does not recognize this and stays in 3g. I can force it to recognize the 4g signal by going to the mobile network settings page and confirming the cdma/lte setting, even though that's where it is already set. Short of doing this, the only thing that brings me back to 4g is an airplane mode toggle or rebooting the phone. Is this normal behavior for this phone on the lte network? Or is it not switching back because the 3g signal is stronger? Or is it something else?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Thunderbolt 4g handoff issue
egosumgoofy
Enthusiast - Level 1
Thank you everyone for your replies. Unfortunately my data issues have persisted even through the GB update. After much research I have decided that my issue is just this phone, and I am switching it out for an HTC Rezound. Hopefully I will have better luck there.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Fatdog1028
Enthusiast - Level 2
I live in the Omaha area where I go between 4g at work and 3g at home. The thunderbolt has issues with backwards compatibility to 3g. Mine will often go back to 1x and will require a restart to get 3g back at home. I would try holding down your power button and then doing a restart. This usually fixes mine. I firmly believe that until Verizon gets 4g nationwide, we will have these issues.
0 Likes
RMLJ
Contributor - Level 1
Try doing airplane mode it should be faster but you need to wait until it showed the plane before you turn airplane mode off should use less battery.
0 Likes
Not applicable

Thanks everyone for sharing your concerns with this device.

Egosumgoofy,

The most recent software update improves data connection reliability and 3G-4G and 4G-3G handoff, and we are continuously working on improving this more. Have you received this update yet? 

0 Likes
djysrv
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have noticed that when I move in and out of 4G coverage areas in Cleveland, OH, that the phone now, with the new update, does a much better job of ramping back to 4G when it is available.

However, the phone is not always the issue. I just got back from a week long business trip to Washington, DC,.  Either Verizon's coverage in the DC area is really bad, or there is some other issue. I was at 3G almost the entire time whether inside or out.

Maybe network load is an issue?

0 Likes
egosumgoofy
Enthusiast - Level 1
Thank you everyone for your replies. Unfortunately my data issues have persisted even through the GB update. After much research I have decided that my issue is just this phone, and I am switching it out for an HTC Rezound. Hopefully I will have better luck there.
0 Likes