Re: Thunderbolt ICS Update
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I haven't heard an odd notification. Although it doesn't help that it is currently silent for the work day.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
bjroy92
Enthusiast - Level 2

I got my ICS update about 4 days ago.  It looks very nice, but my TB is lagging quite a bit.  It is impossible to play any games on it and all in all, it is just pretty slow. Anyone else having this problem?

0 Likes
rjstjohn1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've had my Thunderbolt for almost 2 years in May, have reviewed the forums but this is my first time to actually comment anything worthwhile.  48 hours after the upgrade, and my notes:

• Love the bug fixes!!  I haven't seen the 4G/3G radios cycling off and on anymore!
  • Menus are much nicer on apps, screens look much easier.
  • Loaded Chrome for my android as my browser; loving it.
  • Improved voice on Google Navigator doesn't sound like a female version of Stephen Hawking telling me to turn left (scary good fix!!).
  • Screen shot ability; nice to be able to join the rest of the world with this feature.
  • NEEDED by Verizon - how about some instructions on how to use these new 4.04 features that we've been left in the dark about having been originally on Froyo (i.e. a tutorial on your new, improved Thunderbolt ICS with all the features and tips?)
  • Slowness.  Seems there is a significant delay time between clicking on an icon and having the application launch compared to before the upgrade.  For example, opening the Internet browser, navigating to a website bookmark and having the page load (this is with either WIFI or 3G or 4G networking running).  All applications just seem much, much slower to run.
  • Battery.  I have the original stock HTC battery that came with my phone.  I consider myself a "power user" before the upgrade (took it to camp with the scouts, reading the news while at work, downloading personal mail and working spreadsheets when I wasn't in reach of my pc,etc) but didn't care because I was grandfathered in with "unlimited data plan".  However, this thing is a MAJOR, MAJOR power user!  I've seen my battery drop 40% in an hour yesterday and today.  That is just totally unacceptable! 

Either I have to do something to improve the battery use on this thing or find an acceptable replacement battery at minimal cost. 

Or, in 3 months, go to the Samsung Galaxy S4 when my contract is up this spring.

Thoughts?

AZSALUKI
Legend

nobody is really going to want to hear this, but if you want the best performance after the update, i would suggest a factory reset. i do this with any major update and it really does seem to improve things. i know......what a hassle. but really, if you spend an hour doing this (probably less to redownload all apps and set your homescreens and accounts back up) it may fix some of the issues that some of you are having. anything on your sd card should be safe and if you have saved docs or pics on the internal memory then you will need to back them up or transfer them to a pc. yes, you will lose your level in angry birds, etc.....but i have found that a factory reset is a nice way to clean up a nearly 2 year old device and work out some lags and battery issues. when you do this you can go to the play store and select menu and your apps and all of your old apps will be there to download. you will also have to set up email accounts, etc......but it's really not that time consuming and it's worth a shot if you are experiencing problems.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

budone wrote:

Since the update, I have a new. Notification sound going off, but I do not know what it is for. Goes off 4 times. But there are not any new mail or texts and those items still have their normal tone... Perplexed.

just randomly? or on reboot? does it actually go off 4 times in a row, or is the sound possibly 4 beeps or something?

0 Likes
rjstjohn1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Do you have a link for instructions on the factory reset?

In two years of ownership, I haven't had the need to try that.

What other risks are involved?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I will probably end up doing a factory reset jus to clear up the system in the next week or two. I'm not seeing any bugs yet that drive me batty, but I do make it a practice of resetting the phone after a major update.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

rjstjohn1 wrote:

Do you have a link for instructions on the factory reset?

What other risks are involved?

You'll want to back up all your data before doing a factory reset, 'cause it'll be removed.  Your SD card should be ok, but I always remove mine to be on the safe side.

Hard Reset - Thunderbolt™ by HTC

budone
Legend

It is a tone that repeats itself 4 times in the alert. But it is totally new

0 Likes
jellbel57

I have also just downloaded the ICS update it seems fine to me but I cannot find where the recent app button is. Mine still has the all apps button  on the bottom. Am I the only one or am I missing something.

0 Likes