Thunderbolt and Network Extender
vx1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Anyone else trying to use their TB on a VZW Network Extender? I bought an extender because I get 0-1 bars at my house and VZW graciously sold me one at half price to make up for their coverage problem. I have the extender set up according to the directions and have all 4 steady blue lights (yes the GPS light is solid blue, too). Trouble is, if I am not actually IN THE ROOM with the thing, the signal drops to zero bars and calls fail randomly. I know the TB is still trying to use the extender because I get the double beeps on a call to signal it is being used, but the signal is just almost a flat zip. The unit is advertised to be able to cover 4000 sq feet, so either that is wrong, something is hosed on the device, or I am an idiot.

I hope I am not an idiot.

Suggestions?

0 Likes
Re: Thunderbolt and Network Extender
Wildman
Legend

Try disabling 4G because the extender isnt 4F ready yet....  Or you man can resolve by turning on wifi..

One more thing have you made sure to have it in a none destracted location, like other wireless devices?

0 Likes
vx1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I keep it on 3G. I have the extender about 25 feet away from any WiFi devices (my house is cabled with cat 5e, although we went wireless a year ago Smiley Happy ).  I mainly got the extender for the voice calls, but those are failing too.  It's almost like the extender is putting out a very very weak signal.

0 Likes
acathrow
I am seeing the same thing.
I just got the network extender, I have two phones, a Thunderbolt and an iPhone.
The iPhone has fullbars throughout the house, but the Thunderbolt has to be in the same room to work.in fact it has to be next to the network extender to get four bars, even 6 feet away in the same room gets only 3 bars, leaving the room drops altogether.

Right now I'm trying to work myself up to calling technical support, but you know how painful that will be .......
0 Likes
vx1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I predict support will go with the scripted "do you have blue lights on the front" and battery pull for the phone since there isnt much else you can do to alter the operation of the thing. I havent worked myself up to the agony of such a call either, but please let us know how it goes if you do.

I am pondering whether this is a peripheral issue of the trouble this phone has with the Verizon network in general. My KISS solution was to move the extender to the room I spend the most time in. And incidentally, my wife's LG dumb phone gets full bars even way out in the back yard.

Go figure.

0 Likes