Thunderbolt initial charge
LadyDonner

I am getting my new Thunderbolt on Wednesday. My husband read online that I should initially charge the phone for a couple of days. Has anyone else heard or read this?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Thunderbolt initial charge
RobB772
Contributor - Level 3

It won't take "a couple of days" to fully charge even the extended battery (which I use). According to the recommendations found in the Quick start guide found at :

http://www.htc.com/us/support/thunderbolt-verizon/downloads/

you should fully charge your phone before turning it on.

This most likely will not be the case if you are purchasing it at a brick and mortar store. There they will probably install your SD card, SIM, and battery and activate your service. If this is the case I'd suggest getting it on your charger ASAP. You can then "play" with your customization and account settings while it is charging:smileyhappy:

Then once you're done you can turn it off and let it finish fully charging (without the inadvertent phone call coming in). When the indicator turns solid green ( not flashing, which shouldn't be the case if it powered off) you can use it or immediately or do the bump charge Green Robot suggested.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

My advise is to return it once you get it. No seriously read the Thunderbolt forum topics and then run. The 4G isn't worth it, yet. To answer your question you do not need to charge your phone for days. Charge it till it gets to 100% ( green light in speaker ) then your good to go. You can bump charge it after that if you want but thats more work than it's worth if you ask me. 

0 Likes
RobB772
Contributor - Level 3

It won't take "a couple of days" to fully charge even the extended battery (which I use). According to the recommendations found in the Quick start guide found at :

http://www.htc.com/us/support/thunderbolt-verizon/downloads/

you should fully charge your phone before turning it on.

This most likely will not be the case if you are purchasing it at a brick and mortar store. There they will probably install your SD card, SIM, and battery and activate your service. If this is the case I'd suggest getting it on your charger ASAP. You can then "play" with your customization and account settings while it is charging:smileyhappy:

Then once you're done you can turn it off and let it finish fully charging (without the inadvertent phone call coming in). When the indicator turns solid green ( not flashing, which shouldn't be the case if it powered off) you can use it or immediately or do the bump charge Green Robot suggested.

0 Likes
LadyDonner

My son has this phone and loves it except for the battery issue. He has found ways to keep it running longer; he needed to do that in order to keep it as he lives in NYC and does not have many opportunities to charge it outside his apartment. I like the capabilities of it and I have 2 weeks to decide if it is right for me. So just a regular charge should do it? Great; my blackberry is losing it quickly.

0 Likes
LadyDonner

I'll be getting it in the mail. I can charge it before it is activated?

0 Likes
RobB772
Contributor - Level 3

It's my understanding that it is able to be powered on without a SIM card installed but it will balk at not having it installed. That being the case you could just install the battery, connect the charger and wait for the green indicator (initially it will be orangy colored). After your fully charged you can go about installing the SIM and SD cards and follow the activation procedure which should come with your phone.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i didn't fully charge it (i never do) before activiating it. there are instructions that come with it to activate the sim card. i followed those and plugged it in and started playing around with it immediately. i've had no issues at all with it. if you live in an area with real good coverage/service, then the battery really isn't that bad. i go a full day EASILY on one full charge in the morning. i have noticed that it drains much faster when you're in a poor service area. i went out of town last weekend and it was draining nearly twice as fast as when i'm in my normal location (i live in phoenix and have great coverage. went to flagstaff and it died quickly).

0 Likes
Synycalwon
Contributor - Level 1

I got mine in the mail on April 1. Put in the SIM and SD cards and stock battery, then plugged it in to charge it. Took approx. 2 hours to fully charge. During that time, I read the manual from cover to back. :smileytongue: I then powered it on and went through the activation process. Since, I have had NO problems with battery life or any other issues. All I did was tweak some settings to conserve battery, such as reducing the amount of time for the screen to turn off (ex. 30 secs), set a non-animated wallpaper and disabled unneeded syncing of various applications. I have NOT used any apps to kill processes to conserve battery as I believe they're counter productive as many apps/services will try to restart using up battery power. With moderate use, I get over 12 hours on the stock battery. I did order the extended battery from Verizon with the initial phone order and get days worth of use out of it. Granted, either battery lasts a lot less the more you use the phone, but that's to be expected. So, I have no complaints so far. To complete the setup, also got a Seidio belt clip holster and Multi Function Battery Charger from Amazon.

While my area doesn't have 4G LTE yet (supposed to get it this year), the 3G speeds and operation of the phone itself are impressive. I was able to experience 4G LTE recently while on vacation in an area that had it. Wow, faster than my home DSL! I didn't experience any drastic drain of the battery while in 4G LTE. The only time I've noticed serious battery drain is when there is very weak or no signal coverage, which is common on any cell phone as it is constantly searching for a signal to connect (many of my old feature phones drained battery under these conditions). Needless to say, I love this phone!

0 Likes
gina7289
Contributor - Level 2
Normal when dead 3-4 hrs. I charged it while activating. I did flip it to a new line after receiving it so I had to get a new sim card but after that I was fine. Took little while to activate hut it was great until the tiny network crash. I do love this phone but sometimes people didnt know all to much about it on the companies ends.
0 Likes