Thunderbolt with iMac
frr

I use an iMac computer.  Whenever I plugged my HTC Thunderbolt into the usb port, I get the following message:  "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer."  My options are ignore and eject; I choose ignore and then the "disk" displays on my screen.  I'm able to use my Thunderbolt as a disk to drag and drop but it is kind of confusing as to where I should drop items like pictures or sounds that I use for alerts.

Will there be something in the future that will help with the compatibility?  Would it be better to remove the SD Card from the Thunderbolt and just drag and drop and then reinsert it into the device?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Thunderbolt with iMac
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
You can use a file explorer on the phone. Search for Astro or Estrong in the Market.

For custom ringtones make the following folders on the sd card and place the audio files in the appropriate folders.
In the root of the sd card:
/ media / audio / ringtones
/ media / audio / notifications
/ media / audio / alarms

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Not applicable

frr wrote:

I use an iMac computer.  Whenever I plugged my HTC Thunderbolt into the USB port, I get the following message:  "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer."  My options are ignore and eject; I choose ignore and then the "disk" displays on my screen.  I'm able to use my Thunderbolt as a disk to drag and drop but it is kind of confusing as to where I should drop items like pictures or sounds that I use for alerts.

Will there be something in the future that will help with the compatibility?  Would it be better to remove the SD Card from the Thunderbolt and just drag and drop and then reinsert it into the device?

Welcome to the Community!!

After reading your post and researching compatibility, I found no information if this will be simplified in the future, however you can remove the SD card and insert into the iMac if that is something more familiar to you. You can also create folders within the disk if you need to sort specific pictures or sounds that you use for alerts.

0 Likes
frr

I thought about that but I don't know if I want to keep taking the back off of the Thunderbolt or not.

If I do make specific folders for sounds and pictures, will the Thunderbolt automatically find them?  I know it does with pictures, but what about sounds?   Can you navigate to the folders on the Thunderbolt?  I haven't found a way to do that if it is possible.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
You can use a file explorer on the phone. Search for Astro or Estrong in the Market.

For custom ringtones make the following folders on the sd card and place the audio files in the appropriate folders.
In the root of the sd card:
/ media / audio / ringtones
/ media / audio / notifications
/ media / audio / alarms

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
srmn

I have a thunderbolt that I connect to my Macbook Pro and the same thing happens to me. It throws up the error because your phone is originally connected in "Charge Only" mode (making the disk unreadable), once you put it into disk mode from the dropdown bar on the phone your Mac will be able to read it just fine. You'll be able to find the phone (mine was listed as NO NAME) in the top left section of the finder window, underneath the iDisk icon or any other hard drive or removable device icon you may have.

0 Likes
medic2pa

Another option you have with the thunderbolt and other android devices is to use Spanning Sync. It does cost (can't remember ?$65 unlimited/$25/yr) but all you do is plug in your device to your iMac/MBP (I use both), and it will sync your photos, iTunes library.  It makes it SIMPLE to transfer files back and forth!  It was worth it for me and if you have multiple phones, it will sync them all.  I initially used a thunderbolt with it, but got so frustrated with the multiple problems that I got the D3.  I also sync'd my husbands Casio android px and my son's Droid X with it flawlessly!  It was the only program that I found that sync'd my calendars & contacts as well from my desktop (doesn't sync w/Mobile Me anymore :-()  But VERY happy with it!

0 Likes
Using Thunderbolt with Mac
TVguy

Before plugging in the Thunderbolt, on your phone go to settings - Connect to PC.  Select "Default Connection Type". Select "Disk Drive".  Click "Done".  Now, connect your phone via the USB cable.  The phone will show up as "No Name" in the finder.

You can now transfer photos, music, etc.

0 Likes
ty2295

I used to be have the ignore option between my macbook pro and my thunderbolt, and later it showed up as a disk and I could drag songs and pictures back and forth.  Now I click ignore and my phone doesn't even give the option to mount as disk drive.  Is this an issue with my phone because it's never happened before. I tried different cords and restarted both devices.  Just won't mount.

0 Likes
seasailing

I've changed my setting to Disk Drive and can now access my pics via the Download folder and drag them to iPhoto. As long as my phone is still plugged into my Mac I can view the pic in iPhoto but as soon as I eject the phone, I get an error message when I try to open the photo icon; "The volume for “100MEDIA36IMAG0005.jpg” cannot be found. Insert the disk or connect to the server volume and wait for it to appear on the desktop, then try again." My options are Cancel, Find Photo, and OK. Cancel and OK don't do anything except turn the photo into an exclamation point in a circle, Find Photo opens the Photo Booth app which is empty. How do I view my photos and edit them once I eject my phone?

NOTE: These are pics and videos sent to me via txt that I've been able to download to my Gallery but haven't been able to figure out how to save to my SD card. Pics I take I can get out of my phone but removing the SD card. And now, with the latest upgrade, the phone doesn't even let me download received pics to my Gallery anymore. I'm losing pics because I have to delete txts after reaching a certain volume otherwise I don't get any txts at all (yet another issue with this phone!). Any help is appreciated.

0 Likes