Turn off crapware apps update notices
djysrv
Enthusiast - Level 2

Like everyone else with this phone, mine came loaded with crapware from places like Blockbuster, Rhapsody, and several media apps from Verizon.  I keep getting notices to update them.  I don't ever intend to use any of them. 

Is there any way to tag the crapware apps to turn off update notices for them?  I understand they can't be deleted from the phone. 

Along with the dropping 4G network problem, the crapware issue is my biggest annoyance with Verizon.

I've been a customer of theirs for 11 years, and this contract may be the last.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Turn off crapware apps update notices
RMLJ
Contributor - Level 1
I think the question was about turning off the update notice for these apps not turning off the app itself. I'm assuming all you can do is turn off all notices. Sorry djysrv

View solution in original post

0 Likes
RMLJ
Contributor - Level 1
This is also becoming a pain for me. I just realized that I actually have setup two account on my phone so some of my apps show under one and others on the other account. Just wonderfull lol. Alas I have found no option to not show updates for certain apps possibly setting in the online app store.
0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

There is no way to disable any of the stock apps preinstalled installed on a sevice..

0 Likes
RMLJ
Contributor - Level 1
I think the question was about turning off the update notice for these apps not turning off the app itself. I'm assuming all you can do is turn off all notices. Sorry djysrv
0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

RMLJ wrote:

My mistake you are correct... Well in response to that the update option cant be disable either, you can turn off the auto update but under settings there is a  notification option that can be unchecked..

0 Likes
djysrv
Enthusiast - Level 2

That's correct. You can shut off all update notices.

The problem is that the "automatic update" function for some apps isn't very "automatic." I've found it necessary, for some apps, to click on manual update notifications even when "automatic" is checked.

However, for those that want to take this path, go to the Android Market, click "menu,"  then click "settings," and uncheck "notifications."

To close out, the crapware apps seem to have a marketing concept that believe if they are in your face enough times, you'll eventually click on them.  

My advice is don't unless you have lots of money to spend on data..  Videos and music from services likes Blockbuster and Rhapsody will quickly chew up your data budget on a smartphone.  You're better off, if you really want to use these services, getting them on your desktop and laptop.

Another tip is don't fire up cloud services while on 4G. It still pays to wait for access to wifi unless you really need it, like GPS, etc.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

You got your post before I was able to edit my post after I thought about it again... :smileywink:

0 Likes
Sborden
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have 4 Crapware app that keeps notifying me to update, i turned off auto upfate for EVERY VZ app, and now i just ignore the updates.  I will never run them!

0 Likes