Unable to run Apps that require the network when connected to WIFI
shofebone23

When I turn on my WIFI connection to watch Netflix, Netflix will not work. Same thing for Marketplace or any other App that needs a connection to the network. When I turn the WIFI off and run on 3G, I can then connect to Netflix or Marketplace. Why when my WIFI is on can I not use these Apps?

0 Likes
Re: Unable to run Apps that require the network when connected to WIFI
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Are you actively connected to the wifi network? The wifi symbol is on the right side of the screen next to the signal bars?

Otherwise I don't see why it wouldn't work. It should especially for those on a tiered data plan. Potential overages likely with a data heavy application like netflix.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
shofebone23

I am connected for sure. Thats the issue when I turn on my wifi (connecting to home network) I cant use my apps like netflix. When I just use the Verizon Network I can. I am on the unlimited plan.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Can you get the Internet fine with the phone browser on that wifi connection? It will load a website other than your default homepage?

Have you power cycled the wifi router?

Try clearing the cache and data from the Market or Netflix since you mentioned that those are the ones you are having trouble with.

I am using wifi on my own phone now and can access the Android Market from the phone. I don't use Netflix to test how it should connect myself.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
shofebone23

154, it will not even bring up my homepage when connected. I have tried the Wi-Fi at home and at work and still the same issue.

I also cleared Cache on both but stll can't access them when on WI-FI.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
I am just trying to narrow down the possibilities with some troubleshooting. I don't have access to view exactly what you are seeing through the computer.

Something in your wifi connection is not right or the radio is bad.

What kind of security do you have on the wifi connection? Just to verify, other devices can connect to the same wifi connection? Have you made the phone forget the remembered wifi connection, re-scanned and added it again? Does the routers you are connecting to need the MAC address of your phone to allow a connection?

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

shofebone23 wrote:

154, it will not even bring up my homepage when connected. I have tried the Wi-Fi at home and at work and still the same issue.

I also cleared Cache on both but stll can't access them when on WI-FI.

do you actually see the wifi icon in the status bar (when you activate it, the 3g icon is replaced with the wifi icon)? i ask because it REALLY sounds like you are not connected if you can't browse the web either. if the wifi icon is there in the status bar AND the signal strength is good, and you still can't browse the web, then you will likely have to take it in to get replaced.....unless you want to try a factory reset.

0 Likes
tonkatruck
I have full WiFi connection and my market won't load...says I need to enable background data. I can surf the web all day and watch netflix but market won't work.
0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
@tonkatruck
To turn on background data go to settings > accounts & sync > check on "background data".

0 Likes
tonkatruck
Yea I got that. When I'm in 3g or LTE it works fine all I do is turn on WiFi and it doesn't work
0 Likes