Update 2.11.605.19 710RD New App Association Feature
Wildman
Legend

Has anyone notice the new App Association option that is listed under Settings / Applications / App Association?  It appears to work well because this option allows you to change the default application for a specific option easily, normally you would have to clear the default application and then set the new one with the a pop up window but now it is easy as 1.2.3.

Check It out...

20120512161900.png

0 Likes
Re: Update 2.11.605.19 710RD New App Association Feature
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Different.  Can you set some of those to not have a default?  I sometimes like to have a choice for various functions.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

If this is possible I havent seen a option for this, it appears that is you go to the application and clear the default it automatically sets the default back to the default stock application for this option.  I think they disabled the popup option menu.

0 Likes
mjandroid
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes I have found it after 10 hours. After the ota update the phone, on its own, reset my default to email not gmail. PITA. Finally found this setting (6 htc tech reps and 3 verizon tech reps were clueless). I do not like what this update has done. I fear the CL at Verizon may be correct when he/she says they may have disabled the popup option menu. Well, it was PERFECT for me before the update. Let me explain. Prior to the update - when I used gmail mail all people/contacts were associated with gmail and if I wanted to send an email it went through my Gmail address. Gmail is for my business accounts. However, my personal EMAIL was a pop3 account. There were times - when responding to certain applications that I wanted a choice to use email or gmail (i.e personal email or business email). In those situations a POP UP would appear and allow me the option of replying via EMAIL OR GMAIL (i.e. personal or business). NOW THANK YOU HTC, I do not have that option. All applications ( except when sending a pop3 email) appear to be set to ALWAYS use the GMAIL default when responding to ANY situation. SO if I want to respond to something and it not AUTOMATICALLY going through GMAIL (business email account) I HAVE to go to settings/applications/app associations and change the default to email from gmail. Then after I have sent the email - I HAVE TO GO BACK AND CHANGE THE DEFAULT IN APP ASSOOCIATION TO GMAIL. Can you tell I am not happy about this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  PLEASE FIX THIS.

My phone was working perfectly; loved it. Then along comes this damn update and I have problems with the phone and it is not working in a manner I find acceptable. If anyone has an answer to the issues above I would appreciate it.

Loved my Thunderbolt - now - not so much.......

M

0 Likes
BakerGeckos
Contributor - Level 3

Yeah, I don't think I want this new version either. Applications That I use and select a different app to open each time now default to the browser is kinda lame to me. This substantially changes the way my device works and for Verizon to FORCE this upon us is not right. There should be full disclosure and acceptace from the user not just FORCED acceptance..

My 2 cents worth.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Android or HTC would have made the feature change not Verizon, other HTC devices are starting to have this feature also... I haven't had any issues using this feature so I dont see the problem.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would have to say that it was HTC that modified the code to have this feature. It is not present in the stock Android 4.0 operating system on the Galaxy Nexus. I have the action to open a browser from a link set without a default on the Nexus because I like to choose a which browser to use.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
mjandroid
Enthusiast - Level 2

My 2 cents.

Wildman, I appreciate your responses, but just because you don't see a problem with this new "feature" doesn't mean there isn't one or that others find this change unwarranted or objectionable. I don't understand the concept of fixing something that wasn't (in my opinion) broken. This "feature" has reduced the functionality of the phone as far as I am concerned.

Ann154, are you saying that on your Galaxy Nexus running stock Android 4.0 that your phone, with certain applications, gives you the option on whether to use email or gmail to respond? Please reread my initial post if it helps you with the question. If so, then your premise that HTC made this change, seems logical to me.  Can you or anyone else out there explain to me why HTC would think that taking away features with this ota up-date was necessary or appropriate?

Community Leader, feel free to jump in anytime.

If others read this and have opinions I am interested in hearing them.

Thanks

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Basically I was reporting that it worked without issue for me, I was in no way trying to change your view of the feature for you...  Basically I believe this feature was intending to resolve the need for users to have to figure our how to access this feature through the normal applications menus.. Some users felt uncomfortable clearing the default data because they was afraid that his would cause issue..

I am unsure what you are different because when I click to send a email from a app or another message I get the pop up option to select the account I want to use for this option.

0 Likes
mjandroid
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hey Wildman,

Thanks for the response and the clarification. So you still get the POP UP  that allows you to choose on certain apps to respond via email or Gmail?

So you think this post from May 12th may not be accurate and there is something odd about the settings on my phone (after the update) that can be changed so that the POP UP option will once again work properly?

If this is possible I havent seen a option for this, it appears that is you go to the application and clear the default it automatically sets the default back to the default stock application for this option.  I think they disabled the popup option menu.

Any light you can shed would be helpful.

0 Likes