Using Skype on Thunderbolt
Radioguy

One of the cool things with the Thunderbolt was that it had two cameras-perfect for making video calls via Skype. I've seen it done on a friend's Iphone. Imagine my disappointment when Skype Mobile doesn't work on the HTC. Is there any other way to make video calls, then having to wait for Skype to provide a working version "soon" (their words, not mine)?

0 Likes
Re: Using Skype on Thunderbolt
AZSALUKI
Legend

i believe tango works, as well as yahoo messenger with video. i'm not familiar with either of them, but i believe those are the 2 that work on the thunderbolt "as is." there's other ways to get skype to work but it involves voiding your warranty. it really is a shame. you may want to check QIK as well. i use the app for video sharing, but have never tried it for vdeo calls. the problem with all of these is that everyone has skype accounts. i don't know anyone with yahoo, qik, or tango accounts. it's a shame that skype won't put out a working version for the tbolt.....since i know for a fact that others have done it.

0 Likes
Re: Using Skype on Thunderbolt
Ambushbug

You can try Qik and Tango as the above poster stated, but they seem to be hit and miss so don't get your hopes up. Some people say they work flawless for them so maybe you will be one of the lucky ones.

We have two T-Bolts and have tried both apps on ours. Qik was horrible for video chat, sharing videos is a different matter, but video chat was laggy and audio cut in and out, out more than in.

Tango was a bit better. The video part worked pretty well, a little laggy but nothing major. Sound was unusable, you get a very loud squeeling like feedback. The developers said to turn the volume down one notch and it would stop, that didn't work for us though. We tried it again after they updated and said it was fixed for the T-Bolt,  but with the same results.

From what I've read Yahoo is the best option out there right now for people who aren't rooted. We haven't got around to trying it yet, I do know you have to install a plug in for it to work which shouldn't be an issue.

I guess it's just a good thing developers are out there working on apps for it, hopefully they get better.

0 Likes