VZW ringtone not in list
fourty4mag

I purchased ($2.99) a ringtone (careful not to get a ringback) from the VZW website.  I got the message with the attachment, then I:

Tapped the message

Selected "Save audio"

Got a message saying "The attachment has been saved successfully" (though I don't know where it went)

When I tried to assign the ringtone to a contact it isn't in the list.

I tried going to Menu|Sound settings|Phone ringtone but it's not there either.

I noticed that the attachment to the message was an MP3 file and I don't recall any of the others being MP3s.  Is that the problem?  If so, why did the VZW store send me an MP3 for a ringtone?

thx,

John

0 Likes
Re: VZW ringtone not in list
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The file was likely saved to the Downloads folder. You can connect your phone to a computer as a disk drive and move the file to the following folder structure and the ringtone will be added to the regular ringtone selection list.

SD card drive:/media/audio/ringtones

You can also open the HTC Music application and find the sound there. Press menu > more > set as ringtone

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
fourty4mag

(I forgot to mention I'm using an HTC Thunderbolt.)

I found the file I downloaded, HawaiiFive, but when I put it in the RingTones folder it still doesn't show up in the ringtone list when I try to assign it to a person.  Per your suggestion, I've hooked up to my PC.  The HawaiiFive is in the RingTones folder but I notice that it has a "dm" extension.  All the other files in that folder are mp3.

There is also a "Saved ringtones" folder with other ringtones I've purchased through VZW.  They all have "mid" extensions.

I've purchased eight other ringtones and not had problems.  I don't know why this particular one is being difficult.

Using the HTC Music app and navigating to the file, when I try to play the file I get the messages:

"Sorry, the playback license is not valid"

"Unable to play this type of audio file"

Tapping Menu with this file displayed doesn't bring up anything (no response the the Menu button).

Other suggestions?

thx,

John

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

A "dm" extension? That's not good. It was with my first Android phone that was when I last purchased ringtones from Verizon Wireless. I do remember those files, but I also had an associated mp3 file to that I could move to the ringtone folder.

I guess you could try to re-download the file or try to rename the extension.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Fourty4Mag !  Have you tried Zedge for Ringtone i don't know if they have the one your Looking for but they have some goodies on there.  An some great eye catching Wallpaper if you know what i mean an might even have a 44 mag Ringtone an Wallpaper i think they still have the Dirty Hairy Ringtone when you get Zedge Downloaded hit the Search an put in your search box Dirty Hairy. GO AHEAD PUNK! MAKE MY DAY lol..

I always liked that catchy Tune i guess it's because my Big brother that is passed on a few year back would tell me that all the Time!.. wished he was here to tell me that some more.Smiley Sad B33

0 Likes
Not applicable

Good Afternoon fourty4mag,

I'm sorry to hear you're having difficulties with your latest ringtone purchase. When you received the message with the ringtone attachment, you should have the option to "save as ringtone" when you open the attachment. After you select that option, it should ask you if you want to assign it now or later. Do you still have the message? If so, please attempt to "save as ringtone."

If you are unable to save or assign the ringtone, we can definitely review your account for a refund of your purchase.

I hope this information is helpful with resolving your concerns.

Sincerely,

JonathanK_VZW

VZW Support

Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes
fourty4mag

Sorry for the delay - work, work, work.....

When I open the message I see the attachment (HawaiiFive.mp3).

• If I press and hold on the attachment, I get two "Message options": "Save" and "Play".  If I tap Save, it tells me the attachment has been saved successfully, without presenting any options.  Nowhere does it say anything like "save as ringtone".  If I tap Play, well, of course it plays the attachment
  • If I hit the menu button while viewing the message there is no mention of saving as a ringtone. 

thx,

John

0 Likes