Re: Verizon begins blocking wireless tether
AZSALUKI
Legend

i agree with wildman. why are we still discussing this? the incredible was the first verizon device to tether wirelessly (i think?). that was realeased over a year ago and the terms set by verizon have not changed one bit since then. it's always costed extra to do this. to me it's simple. if they allowed unlimited free tethering, i would drop my cable internet at home AND my dsl at the office and simply tether the 3 devices at home and 3 pc's at work from a 4g android. it would save me a TON of $ and crush a TON of providers (including verizon's network).

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

GreenRobot wrote:

To start I too think that blocking tethering apps is not cool and I think that because I compare my phones internet connection to my home connection. I pay for internet at home and my router gives that connection to all my web hungry devices at home for one charge. I think if VZW wants to make money off multiple connections they should charge for the router ( aka app ) not the amount of data. Realistically I would pay $30-50 once for the ability to use my phones connection to the net but a minimum of $20 a month for 2 gigs seems like a scam since I could just as easily use my phone to view the same web pages but in some case I prefer to see them on my notebook. It's not like I'm going to be using the web on my phone and my computer at the same time so why am I being charged again for the same data connection. @Tidbits we get it, it's in our contract tell Steve Jobs we said hi. Not really he can eat a ....

I agree. For your home broadband, you pay for internet at your home and you are entitled to use that internet at your home for all of your devices. Your home broadband provider does not allow you to provide your internet access to your neighbors, though, and if they find out you are, you will find yourself either paying a larger bill, having your service cut off, have yourself charged with theft of services, or all three.

For your smartphone, you pay an access fee for your smartphone and and if you want to send that access to some device apart from your smartphone, you can pay an additional fee to have that privilege.

0 Likes
T-bolt_Camb

The real question is:   Which would you prefer?    (Not really) "unlimited" data on one device (data rate limiting exists anyway).  Or,  truly shareable data plans with a reasonable cost per GB.  With shareable data plans,  the tethering issue goes away and you pay for what you use.   There are technical issues with tracking data use over multiple devices but they are solvable imho. 

0 Likes
insidenyc

Question.  How much Data is 2GB?  For example.  If I download a movie to my laptop, does that use up a quarter of the 2GB?

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

insidenyc wrote:

Question.  How much Data is 2GB?  For example.  If I download a movie to my laptop, does that use up a quarter of the 2GB?

it will depend on the quality of the file. i've downloaded 2 hour movies at a lower resolution that were as samll as 300+mb's (about a third of a gb), but i've also downloaded movies that exceded 1gb for just the one movie. the tethering is not designed to be a source of data for heavy users. it's function is aimed more at being able to use data (browse the web, email, download a few files, etc) on a wireless device by making your phone a hotspot......but it's not intended to replace you home or office internet connection. 

aside from downloading movies or a lot of music though, 2gb's is a pretty good deal of data. i surf on my phone daily, send and recieve email (with attachments and graphics), view videos, and accosionally stream music or video....and download apps. i have yet to go over 2gb's of data on my phone in a month.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend
unlimited data plan and mobile hotspot are two different things.
0 Likes