WEA issued for wrong area...
es492420

I've had a number of flash flood and tornado warnings for an area that's in another state and is probably 50 miles away.  The warnings don't correlate with true NWS warnings for my area and the area's storms never cross my area.  I live in a relatively populated area so there's many counties and towns and tons of different cell towers between where i live and where the msgs are for.  So why do the WEAs think i'm somewhere that i'm not and how do i fix it?  Thanks

0 Likes
Re: WEA issued for wrong area...
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Was your phone number ever registered for that area where the alerts came from?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
es492420

nope, it's always been registered for where I current live. 

I should mention that the first time I got a WEA I was in the area that I keep getting the warnings for.  It was a flash flood warning a couple months back and flash floods did occur within a few minutes.  So it was quite useful, but seeing how I find myself in this particular area maybe once a year and keep getting its warnings it's not very practical.  I'd prefer to know when a flash flood will occur where I live or work instead of a place 50 miles away

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi es492420! Looking on the bright side, I'm glad you were not actually in the path of the storms you were receiving warnings for! However, I especially don't want you to miss any warnings for your actual area. That is the most important thing, in my opiniont. I'd like to ask if you have had any issues in your area that you did not notice a warning for? There can be a number of things that can cause this. Do you have your GPS turned on? There are different options to choose from, or you can have all selected (Standalone GPS, Google Location, VZW location services). I personally have all selected on my phone, since I use GPS for many different tasks. This also could have something to do with the area code and prefix of your phone, especially if you have GPS services turned off. If you could please reply with some additional details, I'm sure we can work together to get to the bottom of this. Thanks! ^CB

0 Likes