WIFI: Unable to scan for networks
Alt77
Enthusiast - Level 3

This has been an ongoing issue for me the last couple months.  I've had the phone since the release date and it was fine, I never had any of the known issues or anything. 

Now out of the blue when I try to turn on wifi it comes on for only a few seconds then toggles off and then on and off and on and off and cycles so fast I'm not able to uncheck wifi to even stop it, I have to reboot my phone or soft reset to get out of the loop.

I've done multiple hard resets, unchecked googles backup so it wouldn't restore wifi info, soft resets, and I'm getting reallllly irritated.

I'm loathe to start the whole warranty cycle.  I don't want to go through refurb 3 phones before I get one that doesn't have something glaringly wrong with it.  And THAT never fails. 

I really thought I had it fixed when I killed googles backup and did the manuf reset, it worked for almost a whole day that time.  But eventually that attempt proved itself to only be a temporary relief.  Thankfully I still have the unlimited data, I feel sorry for the poor souls who DON'T and get stuck with this particular issue, but there are some apps in the amazon app store that absolutely will not let you download without a wifi connection. 

Which is going to prompt me to call tech support eventually, which is going to prompt me to extreme levels of aggravation when the first couple warranty replacements have other problems. 

Anyone else have this issue or a working solution? 3rd party app that overrides the stupid?  (thunderbolt has a few issues like sms going to wrong numbers that only a 3rd party app seems to be able to overcome, maybe I could get stupidly lucky and a 3rd party wifi app will save me).  I reeeeaaaaallllly don't wanna start the refurb cycle, for real.  lol I'm desperate to avoid that trauma, my phone is my alarm clock, I can't afford to start a cycle of bunk phones.

I've seen the tech resolution posted for the incredible, and that was something I tried long before I ended up here.  That solution isn't a solution and I'd bet a dollar the "resolved" wasn't resolved for anyone much longer than it took them to excitedly post that it was... 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: WIFI: Unable to scan for networks
Alt77
Enthusiast - Level 3

The refurb arrived, I obsessed over it for an hour calling people, playing music, speaker phone, pictures, inspecting every tiny bit of surface and the screen, lol   Aside from the fact that the previous user somehow managed to wear all the silver plating off the edge around the camera lense (tight pocket travel would be my guess) everything is working perfectly for the moment and so is my wifi, yay me.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Have you concidered checking your wifi because I had a wifi router that was going bad that caused the same issue whenever I connected a N wifi device....   Try unplugging router and modem for a minute and then connect the modem and once it connects to system plug the router in and see if this resolves your issue and if it continues I would look at the router before blaming the device because I dont think its the device.

And if you ask about the connection looping even when the wifi is toggled off, remember that the wifi doesnt power off as soon as you toggle it, sometime it can take 30 seconds or more and if it is tring to connect it would continue until the device disables the hardware..   Just something to concider.

0 Likes
Alt77
Enthusiast - Level 3

The router was my first suspect when it started and I did power cycle everything. It's definitely not the router.  The issues is EVERYWHERE I go.  My moms house, starbucks, best friends, everywhere.  And my phone happens to be the only wifi capable device that has any issues, my boyfriends Incredible (my hand me down which I miss more and more every freakin day) does not have similar issues.

I know there's a few second lapse when it's toggled off and on, but when I say it's looping I mean it's very quickly turning off and on without me ever touching it except the first time when I tapped it on.

It's very clearly something in the phone.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Is your wifi settings set to use a static IP address? With the wifi radio turned on, go to settings > wireless & networks > wifi settings > menu button > advanced and check what is enabled there.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Alt77
Enthusiast - Level 3

So the point is I can't get wifi to stay on t, which means I'd be unable to turn the radio on to do anything the radio had to be on for.

The good news is, advanced doesn't require it to be on.  So I have gone in there and checked the settings, but even if I put a static IP in there it would be good for ONLY the router that was providing that ip address, and I'm having this problem everywhere, and starbucks isn't going to assign me my own ip address. 

That's hardly the biggest problem though, the biggest problem is I can't get wifi to scan for networks or stay on, which means if it won't stay on it won't use a static ip anyway.

I'm jacking my boyfriends Incredible right now to call tech support for a replacement, cause I'm burnt out on my phone not working. 

Thank you to both of you for trying to help though!

TGIF!

0 Likes
RMLJ
Contributor - Level 1
Is the wifi antenna on the battery cover if so it may not be making good contact.
0 Likes
Alt77
Enthusiast - Level 3

The refurb arrived, I obsessed over it for an hour calling people, playing music, speaker phone, pictures, inspecting every tiny bit of surface and the screen, lol   Aside from the fact that the previous user somehow managed to wear all the silver plating off the edge around the camera lense (tight pocket travel would be my guess) everything is working perfectly for the moment and so is my wifi, yay me.

0 Likes