Waiting for my Tbolt to activate....
karl0528

I purchased the phone at 9:15 today and I am still waiting for it to activate.  The crappy thing about it is that my DX doesn't even work for the time being so I"m basically phoneless until the Tbolt activates.... Anyone else have that issue?

0 Likes
Re: Waiting for my Tbolt to activate....
gtarist16

i just took my phone home and its been 12hrs and no activation if it doesn't activate by the time im off work verizon is going get it. lol

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

bad question, but you both put the sim card in and took the battery out of your old device right?

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

wow.  12 hrs is a bit much.  I know they were apparently having serious network wide problems with the sales and activation systems last night.  I got mine the day after launch and the sales rep said it was taking as long as 3 hours for some on launch day.  Luckily mine only took 30min since I went there on lunch break.  

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/03/24/verizon-experiencing-4g3g-data-issues-thunderbolt-activations-i...

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

wait..... it wasnt active when you left the store?

any time i got a phone instore, it was active when i walked out the do, the sales rep even tested it.

is the tb or lte diff?

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

mdram4x4 wrote:

any time i got a phone instore, it was active when i walked out the do, the sales rep even tested it.

is the tb or lte diff?

yes. you can't dial *228 to activate it. it activates on it's own when you load the sim card and turn it on. UNFORTUNATLEY, many of the reps don't even realize this as i've seen many complaints (and it JUST happened last night with my friend's wife) where vzn is telling people to just turn it on and dial *228. apparently, this can ruin the sim card?

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

AZSALUKI wrote:

mdram4x4 wrote:

is the tb or lte diff?

yes. you can't dial *228 to activate it. it activates on it's own when you load the sim card and turn it on. UNFORTUNATLEY, many of the reps don't even realize this as i've seen many complaints (and it JUST happened last night with my friend's wife) where vzn is telling people to just turn it on and dial *228. apparently, this can ruin the sim card?

sim cards are new to vzw

but i would never leave the store without a working phone. as i said the sales rep used to call it for you to verify it worked

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

yeah, *228 is supposed to immediately disconnect when dialed but apparently some have managed to go through rendering the sim card useless.  For the Thunderbolt,  they're supposed to just be able to enter the sim id into their system and link it to your phone number and it's just supposed to start working on boot.  That doesn't necessarily seem to be the case though in most instances.

0 Likes
ibanez737
Contributor - Level 1

EDIT: There actually is a delayed activation notice currently, so I guess ignore my previous post unless it's crazy long.

The switch is currently taking between 2-3 hours to activate SIM cards. When customers are putting them in the device, they should be left in. DO NOT pull the SIM card, it will cause the customer to go to the "end of the line", waiting for activation in the switch. Advise customers to stay patient. This is not related to the current data card outage in alerts.

There have been some reported LTE issues today.  It could be affecting activations, but I wouldn't think so.  Only thing i might try is taking battery out, reseating the sim card, then powering the phone on and activating again.  I activated my Tbolt on one line on my account and it took about 30 seconds, then i got a new SIM for another number on my account, and same thing, only about 30 seconds.  If power cycling doesn't work, definitely call VZW to see if it's related to the 4G outage or something else.

0 Likes
gina7289
Contributor - Level 2
I had a problem like that when I got it in the mail. I accepted everything but wanted to put it on a different line. After I did that I waited 6 hrs because they said I had to wait for it and still wait then they said the sim chip was confused because of the switch. Lol it gets confused. VZW rep did not know the chip was and is assigned to the original phone number u upgraded with. Then u have to go to the store to get a new chip or wait until they mail u one.. then I was bill 105$ for 53 mb of data. They told be reason for that was u can use data without a data plan on the thunderbolt. Yeah right truth when they switched to a good sim chip some how the system billed me for data instead of taking into account I have a plan. Also I can't have the extended warranty insurance untill April
17th but I was put on the other plan.. why do these little things make the bill ne unexpectedly higher.
0 Likes