Weather Clock location on home screen shows my location is "current location" wherever that is.....
novap

I love the HTC weather and clock app on the Thunderbolt home screen!

Despite a number of adjustments and updates and refreshing on the Weather app page and GPS refresh area it still displays my current location incorrectly. It seemed to be more accurate the first few days that I had the phone.

Right now it indicates on the home screen while I’m at home that my location is “current location”. Big help!

Minor irritant!

I thought the app might be “be fixed” within the first few days. No such luck.

A few messages below on the Forum the subject indicates that a solution has been found re the Weather app but I don’t think so.

Who do we contact to request an app revision?

Can I still trust the Google maps and Navigation if the Home screen weather has no location?

It’s such a fun aspect to the home page and I thought it would be so helpful when traveling.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Weather Clock location on home screen shows my location is "current location" whereve
AZSALUKI
Legend

go to settings and location. do you have "standalone gps service" and "google location services" both checked?

0 Likes
Re: Weather Clock location on home screen shows my location is "current location" whereve
kvp

Mine does the same thing. In addition it will often show me in one of two places, most frequently in Garden Grove, CA.  I am in southern Illinois.  I've been to a VZW store twice and have had tech support on the phone twice.  No one seems to know why this is happening.  I believe it has something to do with the location services.  I have been asked to wait a week to hear from the network engineers to see if they can diagnose this issue and if the network is pushing incorrect data down to the phone.  I'll post what I am told.

Everything else about the phone is completely satisfactory to me.

0 Likes
TBoltOwner
Contributor - Level 1

go to settings and location. do you have "standalone gps service" and "google location services" both checked?

Tried that...still doesn't work.

0 Likes
Re: Weather Clock location on home screen shows my location is "current location" wherever
novap

Both were already checked.My location is still - "current location" literally.

I look forward to hearing what the engineers have to say.

I've been to the Verizon store several times and was told - it is what it is.

0 Likes
Re: Weather Clock location on home screen shows my location is "current location" wherever
JimH4662
Enthusiast - Level 2

Reading other forums It was reported as an issue with using GPS, Vz locater, and Google. Apparently GPS is only good out side, unobstructed view of the sky. The other two use the towers to do a triangulation with the TB. Since I rebooted my phone i have not had the city/location listed. Temp appears correct.

0 Likes
gina7289
Contributor - Level 2
It happened to me and I had to be least 3g to work but I assume u all know this.
0 Likes
Another_Dave
Enthusiast - Level 2

This may help, I know it helps with the GPS location issue and my TB can show my location in the weather/clock app more accurately after I did this:

1. In Android Market, get "GPS Status" app

2. Open that app and go into the menu

3. Open Tools

4. at the bottom of the pop-up list is Manage A-GPS State, go there

5. touch Reset, you will be sent back to the app's home

6. Menu>Tools>Manage A-GPS State> Download

Mainly, this process is to help get a better GPS fix, but after I did that on mine, the weather showed my actual town or one nearby. Before I did that, I was in "New York, NY" which is 8 hours away to the N/NE. And after doing the above steps, both the GPS and the weather are more accurate. Somehow it then uses the GPS fix, cellular location and internet all to assist in fixing the location.

0 Likes
retief

I just got off the phone with Verizon Tech and they have noted this is a known problem that has been reported to HTC for a fix, no ETA yet.  My best has been a town/commune in the country of Moldova, a long way from the state of Washington.  More often it just won't change the city as I drive.  Hopefully this, as well as the "not finding 4G", will both get fixed soon.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Been there seen that Before this issue is not New an what is Happening on your Thunderbolt has done the same thing on the  Droid Incredible I've got.  I've turned on all my GPS features an it still wants to get the City thats 120 miles away from me it was supposed to fixed with sofeware updates. "Nope" did'nt fix it. helped some. But Not Totaly An it even likes to pute you sometimes in another city when Using Google Maps. I just think HTC is Notorius for this an it doesn't matter what model you get.  its not always going to show the correct city your in.  But Maybee they'll fix this.  But then again Maybee they Won't :smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes