When will the following app requirements be met?
dchitnis

I purchased the Thunderbolt because I was lead to believe that this was the most advanced phone available on the Verizon network. After a few months with this I'm still unable to use the following basic apps (2 of them from HTC):

1. Skype Video Calling (Front Camera
  2. HTC Tasks
  3. HTC Tip Calculator

OS upgrade whatever, does anyone have a date when this will be resolved?

0 Likes
Re: When will the following app requirements be met?
vereyezuhn
Master - Level 3

dchitnis wrote:

I purchased the Thunderbolt because I was lead to believe that this was the most advanced phone available on the Verizon network. After a few months with this I'm still unable to use the following basic apps (2 of them from HTC):

2. HTC Tasks
  3. HTC Tip Calculator

I'm not sure about Skype, and I don't even know what HTC Tasks is, but as far as the Tip Calculator goes, there are a bunch of apps for that. To be blunt, I don't even know why that is an app. Any calculator will do this - multiply by .15 for 15%, .2 for 20%, etc.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

vereyezuhn wrote:

dchitnis wrote:

2. HTC Tasks
  3. HTC Tip Calculator

I'm not sure about Skype, and I don't even know what HTC Tasks is, but as far as the Tip Calculator goes, there are a bunch of apps for that. To be blunt, I don't even know why that is an app. Any calculator will do this - multiply by .15 for 15%, .2 for 20%, etc.

1. Skype issue isnt Verizon issue, skype has to update the software for this option..

2. What update does HTC Task need, it is just a method to close apps, what else is it suppose to do?

3. I agree with vereyezuhn, its a calulator and it works as one..  You know things are getting out of hand when even a calculator is being complained about.. :smileysurprised::smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes
dchitnis
  1. Skype has updated the software. The front camera will only work with Android OS 2.3 (Android OS is 2.1 on Thnderbolt) so the ball is being dropped by Verizon.
  2. HTC Tasks is an app that allows you have have To do lists. Your answer will be there are many other apps for To Do list. HTC Tasks syncs with Exchange so is the preferred app for me.
  3. There are other Tip Calculators, but are HTC apps not supposed to run on HTC device? It is ridiculous to even think of running a 3rd party app, when the device manufacturer app is not supported.
0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Neither the HTC Tasks or the Tip Calculator will complete the download on my phone. Which doesn't really bother me.

I do remember using the tip calculator on a different HTC phone. I found it lacking both in features and functionality. I prefer to figure out my tip percentage on the standard calculator.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
dchitnis

@Ann154 you are right that those apps won't download on your Thunderbolt. Because if you check the requirements on those apps, they require OS 2.3. The OS on TB is 2.2.1. The same reason why Skype won't use the front facing camera. Refer to this http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-2.3.html What is the point of having multiple cameras on a device when the OS does not support them? Expecting every app to have a workaround is not right. Feel decieved as I had to do much research to come to conclusion that the OS on the device does not support the hardware and features that were advertised.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Ah OK...  I thought you was talking about the Task Manager but now I see we are speaking of two different apps, too many apps with same name...  I never used that Task apps..

Now I never understood the concept of the TIP calculator and the concept that you are expected to tip a percentage of what your meal cost..

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

dchitnis wrote:
  1. Skype has updated the software. The front camera will only work with Android OS 2.3 (Android OS is 2.1 on Thnderbolt) so the ball is being dropped by Verizon.Actually, the OS update is a collaboration between HTC and Verizon, so they are BOTH to blame.
  2. HTC Tasks is an app that allows you have have To do lists. Your answer will be there are many other apps for To Do list. HTC Tasks syncs with Exchange so is the preferred app for me.If HTC requires Android 2.3 for this app, then you will have to wait for the OS to be updated. Several 3rd party apps are better than the phone manufacturer apps, regardless of manufacturer. If you decide to wait for the HTC app to be compatible, then that is your choice.
  3. There are other Tip Calculators, but are HTC apps not supposed to run on HTC device? It is ridiculous to even think of running a 3rd party app, when the device manufacturer app is not supported.If HTC requires Android 2.3 for this app, then you will have to wait for the OS to be updated. Several 3rd party apps are better than the phone manufacturer apps, regardless of manufacturer. If you decide to wait for the HTC app to be compatible, then that is your choice.

0 Likes
dchitnis

rcschnoor wrote:

dchitnis wrote:
  1. Skype has updated the software. The front camera will only work with Android OS 2.3 (Android OS is 2.1 on Thnderbolt) so the ball is being dropped by Verizon.Actually, the OS update is a collaboration between HTC and Verizon, so they are BOTH to blame. I agree
  2. HTC Tasks is an app that allows you have have To do lists. Your answer will be there are many other apps for To Do list. HTC Tasks syncs with Exchange so is the preferred app for me.If HTC requires Android 2.3 for this app, then you will have to wait for the OS to be updated. Several 3rd party apps are better than the phone manufacturer apps, regardless of manufacturer. If you decide to wait for the HTC app to be compatible, then that is your choice. I will wait, all I'm asking is until when?
  3. There are other Tip Calculators, but are HTC apps not supposed to run on HTC device? It is ridiculous to even think of running a 3rd party app, when the device manufacturer app is not supported.If HTC requires Android 2.3 for this app, then you will have to wait for the OS to be updated. Several 3rd party apps are better than the phone manufacturer apps, regardless of manufacturer. If you decide to wait for the HTC app to be compatible, then that is your choice. I will wait, all I'm asking is until when?

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Chances of getting a date for the update BEFORE it is actually being deployed is probably somewhere between slim and none.

0 Likes