Why did my device reset to factory defaults?
hairbandsrule
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just got a new HTC one (less than a week old) - pulled it out of my pocket and found it turned off so I restarted it. I was prompted to use set up wizard which I didn't think anything of it so I proceeded a few clicks and realized that I didn't need to do that...so, I backed out of the set up screen and found my phone reset to the factory settings....I finally located the gallery and it is saying that there are no pictures or music on my SIM card...help!!!!  What could I have done?  Is there any hope of restoring it back to what I had?

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Just got a new HTC one (less than a week old) - pulled it out of my pocket and found it turned off so I restarted it. I was prompted to use set up wizard which I didn't think anything of it so I proceeded a few clicks and realized that I didn't need t
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you have the security password or pin lock on the phone?  If the pin/password is entered wrong too many times,  the phone will reset itself to the factory settings.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Just got a new HTC one (less than a week old) - pulled it out of my pocket and found it turned off so I restarted it. I was prompted to use set up wizard which I didn't think anything of it so I proceeded a few clicks and realized that I didn't need t
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you have the security password or pin lock on the phone?  If the pin/password is entered wrong too many times,  the phone will reset itself to the factory settings.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
hairbandsrule
Enthusiast - Level 1

Can it be reset back?  What about the microSD card?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Nope.  The SD card might have info on it if it wasn't included in the factory reset process/

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Oh no! Sorry about the trouble with your new phone, hairbandsrule. Unfortunately, if a phone has been reset there's no undo option. It could have been from a reset that Ann154 described, or possibly from an application installed on your phone that offers a remote reset. As for the SD card, you can try to take the card out and put it into a memory card reader for your computer to see if there's files there that just aren't being recognized by your device. You may even be able to just remove and reinsert the SD card from the phone for it to be recognized. If the reset included the SD card too, there's no way that we support to retrieve deleted files.

JenniferH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport