WiFi Problem since Ice Cream Sandwich Update
mzzjamzz

Since the Icecream Sandwich update for my HTC Thunderbolt, my phone connects and then disconnects with my wireless connection in my house or anywhere else.  I have a strong signal, but then it drops.  I have to turn WiFi off and then on again, and it will stay connected for a little while and then I no longer have a WiFi connection even though I am right next to my router.  This didn't start until the update.  I have seen in the forum that other people are having the same problem.  What can we do to fix it? Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: WiFi Problem since Ice Cream Sandwich Update
JRAHNBO2
Contributor - Level 2

See if perhaps in Settings>WiFi>(MENU)>Advanced that the Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep and Best Wi-Fi performance ticks are checked or not.  I was having a few issues too until those were checked.  Oddly it still goes to sleep occasionally but at least not while I'm actively using Wi-Fi and seems to wake up enough to do what needs to be done.

0 Likes
jim90

I have exactly the same problem.  There are some in frequent times when it stays connected (for 10 min), but most of the time it connects, disconnects, connects....

0 Likes
Ubale77

My issue is that mine shows that I am connected to my network but will not go on the net. The phone was working just fine before the update and now I am a No-Go at this station. I have checked my network and made sure that my tablets could connect and my three desktops could connect as well as both of my PS3's. They are all connecting just fine. So this leads me to only one issue the update is worthless, but at least it looks nice. As we say you can polish a turd up but in the end it's still a turd. Maybe next time work out the bugs better before release. Now my phone use to much data and I will have to upgrade my data plan so I don't have to give up a lung to pay for my data. If this was the plan all along to make us use only our data then good job it worked. 

0 Likes
Not applicable

First off let me say I do not own or have this phone. Now lets move on to a possible fix. I give no gurantee for this.  Turn off your phone completely and leave it off. Then go to your router and cable/dsl modem and unplug both and count to 20. Then connect the power to your modem, then connect the power to your router so they can both cycle up and clear themselves.   Then turn your phone back on and look and see if it found your network and let it try and get an ip address of its own. It may just power up and find and connect, if it does then problem solved.  If it does not you highlight the connection and remove it. Then click search for wifi networks and when found go in and place your security code for your network and then see if it connects ok. If it does then problem solved.  Now if it still is having a connection issue, you may have to go in your routers settings and assign it as a static ip address. To set that up you place your devices MAC address in and you assign an open ip to it. In example 192.168.1.22 which depending on how many devices are on your home network the. 22 should be high enough to assign with no issues. Please read your router documentation on how to access this feature or check the web page of your router maker.  Another thing I noticed with our cell was it was showing 3G instead of 4G but I drove down about 1/2 mile to the city which normally has a strong 4G and the device then went to 4G and it works perfectly.  Hope you get it working.

0 Likes
Ubale77

Thx for the help. I have done this already. All of my elec have there own IPs. But I was half asleep trying to figure this out last night up until i posted and just couldn't stay up anymore. So when i came home from work for lunch I tried it again with a fresh look at this issue and still no resolve. I even opened my network and it connects it just will not let me on the go to a web page. Will keep looking into it but not sure what else to do about it now.

Thx for the reply Elector 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks everyone for reporting issues with your wifi connection. Software updates should resolve issues with your device and I apologize that a new problem was created. Thank you for also sharing steps that you have taken to attempt to remedy this issue. Can you please boot into safe mode http://bit.ly/Nt3m5U and try connecting to wifi again? If it connects in safe mode, there may be a third party application that is not compatible with the new software causing the issue. If no change in safe mode, please complete a factory reset http://vz.to/YLGYwt.

Let me know if you still continue to experience issues after this.

MarquiaF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
DAVE_V

Does a factory reset erase the SD card contents (e.g. pictures, mp3s)?

0 Likes
DAVE_V

I had a related issue with my T-Bolt, though reverse.  Starting last summer, if my phone connected to my Linksys WiFi AP in my house, I would have internet for a few minutes (10-15).  Then I would lose the internet.  The WiFi was still connected, but it had not internet connectivity.  If i turned the WiFi off and back on, the internet would return for a short while.  Had my T-Bot for 16 months prior and never had any problems with the Linksys AP in my house.

I also have a Netgear AP upstairs in my house (same network, same SSID, different channel).  My phone would NEVER lose the internet when connected to that AP.

After I received the ICS update, the WiFi issue with the Linksys AP has been resolved.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

No, a factory reset shouldn't delete the contents of the SD card on the Tbolt.

To be on the safe side, you can also backup the SD card to a computer before completing the factory reset. That's what I usually do on my Tbolt.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes