i finally found a car mount i like....and for $2.49!!!
AZSALUKI
Legend
0 Likes
Re: i finally found a car mount i like....and for $2.49!!!
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
So... Is the soft side or the prickly side attached to the phone?

Or have you encased the phone and put the one side of the Velcro on that?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
pat3332
Contributor - Level 2

Great idea. I did something similar after spending more money than I can remember on different mounts and now I don't even use one. I think we should start a thread with inexpensive improvised mounts that people have come up with. I'll take some pictures of mine tomorrow.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

it's uncased (i tried a case when i got the tbolt and it's just too big for me). the soft half is on the back of the phone (which also cushions it when i lat it on my desk). i just put 4 half inch (wide) strips to form a square around the htc logo on the back. i have an old zune that i tried a windshield mount and 2 different cup holder mounts with. i just don't care for anything except the better air vent mounts......but my xm myfi is already taking the one i can easily reach. now i don't have a large peice of plastic taking up one of my cup holders or hanging down from my windshield. it holds real good (got it from fry's electronics and the guy told me it was real good as far as the sticker part of the velcro goes. don't get just any cheap velcro....make sure the adhesive will last). portrait or landscape....cheap....easy...unabtrusive......i love it. i also like how it looks. very clean and appears to be floating on the dashboard. a bit nerdy i know.....but i'm a neat freak and it looks smooth in the car.

pat....please post pics. i'm always looking for good ideas. when the inc first came out and everyone was looking for and extended battery case, it was a forum member who posted a "how to" with pics, showing his hard plastic case that he cut part of the back out of. he sanded it and painted it and it looked like it was purchased like that. shortly after that we found a couple websites selling "extended battery cases." they were silicone cases that they just took an exacto knife to.....lol. 

0 Likes
pat3332
Contributor - Level 2

Sorry, it took a while to find the time to take the pictures. and now I've had a problem posting them. I'm guessing that you have to have a specific number of posts to be able to insert images, or I just can't figure it out. I'll try adding links to the photos in Photobucket. I might be able to do the same thing by clicking on the image icon and inserting the Photobucket URL if that doesn't work.

Well, neither one of those options worked. I just get an error message when I click on a link and since I don't see a way to delete this post, I'll just go with a description.

I've spent a lot of money on dash mounts, but I've found that anyplace I put my phone where the sun hits it makes it very hot. My problem with vent mounts is simply that the phone is blocking the air from one of the vents. I can see one good point for mounting the phone on an air vent and that is that it keeps the phone cool in the summer, but while it's keeping the phone cool, it isn't helping me much. I'm also not so sure about how the heat will affect it in the winter. I've never tried it however, so my concerns may not be valid. It probably depends on your climate, but here in Oklahoma, the air coming out of my vents in the winter gets pretty hot.

My solution is very simple, and it may not work for everyone. I have a 2010 Honda Accord and there is an overhang over the area where the instruments are. For some reason, there is a tachometer next to the speedometer that I never even look at since I don't see any purpose for a tach with an automatic transmission. I just prop the phone up in front of the tach, positioned so I can see everything but the tach. I have a narrow strip of velcro on one side of my phone's case and another small piece on the dash in front of the tach. All the velcro does is keep the phone from sliding around and the phone is easily visible and out of the sun. I only mount it like this when using it for navigation, so it isn't mounted there very often.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

sounds good....and you're correct...you have to be a certain level to post pics. the good vent mounts are nice, but i live in phoenix so i never have the heat running and don't have to worry about it. the device in my pic (next to the tbolt) is a 5 year old xm delphi myfi and that is the original vent mount. i still can't believe how sturdy it has been and how well it has held up. it's in a perfect location and doesn't get in the way (like most other types of mounts i've looked at). it also keeps the myfi cool in the phoenix summer heat. the problem with vent mounts though, is that every vent is different and some of them don't fit at all on a lot of car models.

0 Likes
pat3332
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks, I've had that happen on other forums and I thought that was the problem, but I'm not sure why it won't let me link to an online photo sharing site. Oh well. I'm not a very good photographer anyway.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

it should....just copy and paste the link. i'm not aware of any restrictions on pasting links???? i could be wrong though.

0 Likes
pat3332
Contributor - Level 2

After I wrote the post and tried clicking on the links, I kept getting an error message. Maybe it was just something causing a problem at that time. I'll try again. Do you know if it makes any difference if I use the link icon, or the image icon to plug in the URL? The image window looks more complicated, so I'll try the insert link first.

Dash Mount Album

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
That link worked, Pat.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes