only getting 160 characters in texts
cheebs42

this happend to me the 2nd day i have had this phone..if i get a text that is more than 160 characters, i only get the first part of the text and not the 2nd, is there anything to do to make it so i can get all my my text and not just the first part? im so annoyed with it already.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: only getting 160 characters in texts
EdW_VZW
Verizon Employee

cheebs42 wrote:

not seeing any of that..it just cuts off in the middle of the sentance, and the rest of it does not show up!

Thanks to Wildman, Kzerefos and Budone for your input.

Hello to Cheebs42,

The issue with not being able to send or receive a message beyond the 160 character is not device related but rather a limitation of how many characters that can be used per text message. Here is a link that provides some additional information about this matter. If the sentence is very long, the message will only go up to the 160 character limit and stop. That would serve as one message. If the person wanted to continue and finish the sentence, they would start a second message where they left off from where the first message ended.  If the person desired to send just one text message beyond the 160 character limit, they could send a picture message because it has up to a 1000 character limit being used as a message in place of a picture or added with a picture. For more information on text messaging, please use this link for some good references and tips.  

View solution in original post

0 Likes
kzerefos
Enthusiast - Level 3

Open the conversation with the individual to show the message stream between both of you.  Are you seeing any messages with notifications (i.e. download/reject/preview anything) that you can access?  You will have to look into the individual conversation and not your message listing if that makes sense (it's early and that sounds confusing lol).

0 Likes
cheebs42

not seeing any of that..it just cuts off in the middle of the sentance, and the rest of it does not show up!

0 Likes
kzerefos
Enthusiast - Level 3

Since this is the first I've heard of this on the Bolt, which carrier does the person sending you texts have?  I think I remember hearing Sprint had a problem with sending texts over 160 characters at one point.  Have you tried having someone else with a different carrier send you texts as well?

0 Likes
budone
Legend

I have the issue on occasion. Some complete in the next text. Some never complete. My issues are always with messages from TM

0 Likes
kzerefos
Enthusiast - Level 3

That's what I was thinking Budone, that the issue was carrier related rather than the t-bolt itself.  Maybe the OP can confirm if he is having this problem when sent messages from other carriers only or if it is happening with VZ messages as well.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Try using Handcent to see if it helps..

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Wildman wrote:

Try using Handcent to see if it helps..

I use Handset

0 Likes
EdW_VZW
Verizon Employee

cheebs42 wrote:

Thanks to Wildman, Kzerefos and Budone for your input.

Hello to Cheebs42,

The issue with not being able to send or receive a message beyond the 160 character is not device related but rather a limitation of how many characters that can be used per text message. Here is a link that provides some additional information about this matter. If the sentence is very long, the message will only go up to the 160 character limit and stop. That would serve as one message. If the person wanted to continue and finish the sentence, they would start a second message where they left off from where the first message ended.  If the person desired to send just one text message beyond the 160 character limit, they could send a picture message because it has up to a 1000 character limit being used as a message in place of a picture or added with a picture. For more information on text messaging, please use this link for some good references and tips.  

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

EdW_VZW the only issue is that the OP isn't trying to send the message, their issues is in regards to someone sending a message larger than 160 characters to them and the whole message doesn't come through, normally the messages would be split after the maximum character and send it as another message but the user is only receiving the first part..

0 Likes