wont reboot past start up, recovery now looping!
Totally_SOL

Help! my phone has been freezing up lately, normally if i take the battery out, put it back in and then turn it back on it will be fine, but now i cant get my phone to boot past that very first white HTC startup screen. I tried rebooting it in recovery and now im even more screwed! it goes past the HTC screen into a little image of a phone with little green arrows above it (kinda like a refresh symbol) then that symbol turns into a red triangle with an exclamation point in it. that's where it stops. i try removing the battery again, but the instant i put it back in, it does the same thing, it doesnt even give me a chance to turn it on with the power and down button, it just turns itself on and keeps repeating that cycle! What do i do?!

0 Likes
Re: wont reboot past start up, recovery now looping!
lemew
Contributor - Level 3

Sounds like a failed update. Take out battery then replace battery. Hold volume down and power on at the same time. In the menu that comes up select recovery by using the volume rocker. Then press power button. When phone comes on wait a few seconds and push volume up and power button simultaneously. Scroll to wipe cache and push power button. Wait for completion then select reboot device. Even if it is not a failed update this Will not hurt your device. Technical support is always available via *611 if you feel more comfortable with troubleshooting 1:1. They are always very helpful!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello!

Thank you to the community for your posts! The steps provided above are correct for fixing the issue. Did this get you back up and running? Here is a link with screen shots as well: http://bit.ly/rlYXKN You will need to do the alternate version. Please let us know if it is successful.

Thank you!

Katie H
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
did0978

Katie,

I'm having the same issue. I've tried recovery, factory reset, wiping cache...nothing is working. Whenever it's in the process of these operations I watch what the screen says and it keeps saying it can't mount certain files. And when the hboot screen first comes up, before you can choose your option it flashes up some files and says image bad or not found. I'm starting to think either it's an update issue as the person above mentioned or my phone picked up a virus. The last time I connected my phone to my laptop the Kaspersky anti-virus on the computer set off an alarm. I'm not sure if that was due to a file on the phone or due to one of the driver files. Anyway, I am an over-the-road trucker so if there is any possibility of resolving this without taking it to a store, which would be difficult until I get home, I would appreciate some guidance. Thanks.

0 Likes
lemew
Contributor - Level 3

You might try starting safe mode to see if it is an application that is causing the problem and then wipe cache as explained above. What you see in hboot is normal.

0 Likes
did0978

That only works if you can get to the 2nd HTC screen that says quietly brilliant under the HTC logo, I'm stuck at the 1st one.

0 Likes
lemew
Contributor - Level 3

Can you get yo recovery from hboot?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can imagine your frustration, did0978. Especially since you are a driver.
Since the hard reset didn't work, can you try the alternate method http://bit.ly/K1iGah to see if that makes a difference?

If not, the only thing we can do is replace the device for you.

Tamara H.
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
denelectric
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same issue all of the sudden.  I have tried factory reset and it still does the same thing.  I have removed the battery, sim card, everything and I keep getting the same screen.  What do I do next???

scubasteve02

My phone just started having the issue and it sounds a lot of this people with this phone are having this issue all of sudden. When this happens I have to remove the battery and sim card for an extended period of time and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

0 Likes