xda devs
s8njr

why doesn't verizon talk to the devs on the forums that have succesfully got gingerbread to run on thunderbolt? keep seeing post everywhere that htc is having issues with gb for thunderbolt......i don't know, just seems like it would get done faster if they had people who knew what they were doing.

0 Likes
Re: xda devs
Ambushbug

Because although the xda guys provide a good service to us, they have yet to release a bug free version of GB either. Getting it to run on the TB isn't the problem, getting it to run bug free is. Verizon doesn't have the option of releasing updates every week or two tweaking their software. Also the vast majority of customers would be outraged with some of the issues xda versions of GB have, even if people who mod their phones consider them minor.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Ambushbug wrote:

Getting it to run on the TB isn't the problem, getting it to run bug free is. Verizon doesn't have the option of releasing updates every week or two tweaking their software. 

ha, could've fooled me.  You'd be hardpressed to find any software update that Verizon has released that didn't have somewhat major issues.  Random reboots ring a bell? After owning 3 android devices, I'd almost guarantee you that those roms based on the GB leaks are more stable and less buggy than anything Verizon has or will push out to their devices.  And the developers there are much more approachable and have a quicker turnaround time on bugfixes than Verizon/HTC.

0 Likes
Ambushbug

Yes, but the turnaround time to fix bugs isn't doable in a company the size of Verizon. No doubt the MR1 updat by Verizon caused a lot of people issues, which is why I suspect GB is taking so long. Really though, stop and think about it. How crazy do you think the public would go if they didn't get Email notifications or if their camera didn't work? Like I said, to people who mod their devices these type of things are expected, but not to most customers.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Ambushbug wrote:

Really though, stop and think about it. How crazy do you think the public would go if they didn't get Email notifications or if their camera didn't work? Like I said, to people who mod their devices these type of things are expected, but not to most customers.

I've never had either of those issues on any of the roms I've used.  Most of the issues with custom roms are user introduced (ie flashing a kernel that breaks the camera, not wiping as instructed, etc).  I bet I could give my phone to anyone off the street and they wouldn't even know it wasn't running "official" software and that's with it running Sense 3.0 which wasn't even intended to be on the Thunderbolt.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

A number of developers has big respect from me but some things that need to concider is that the developers don't actually take the same methods to develop the software, the developers bypass a number of security methods to accomplish their work that the Manufacture and Service Perviders want to remain untouched and this make the methods that they use to be different than the original design.

0 Likes
Ambushbug

That's great that you haven't, but there are known issues with every custome rom out there. I respect the devs and glad we have options out there, but just because they can mod/tweak a rom doesn't mean they should be hired by Verizon. It's really comparing apples and oranges.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend
The only issue my rom has is that the voicemail icon doesn't disappear after I pull the message. Much more minor than the issues the official releases have had.
0 Likes