GPS stopped working! (unending "search for location" prompt since Android 5.0.1)
derps
Enthusiast - Level 1

Shortly after getting the Android update my GPS stopped working all together. I have tried everything i could think of. Uninstalled all recent apps, hard reboot, GPS testing app, full phone diagnostic apps, finally COMPLETE phone wipe re-installing everything. Nothing has worked! I am desperate. I use GPS all the time, not a single app, nor the phone itself can get the GPS to get a location fix. No matter what i do, the phone eternally says "Finding Location" for every single GPS using app, diagnostics or otherwise.

It is just a stock Verizon HTC One M8. A brand spanking new one, never dropped, stock verizon/android OS, like literally pristine new! Since the phone is not rooted i have no real way of rolling back to an older Android version correct? I noticed there was only one other post with the same exact symptons posted about 3 months ago that went without any answer/responses since. So... am i SOL? I tried initiating Verizon support on Twitter, but they think its a specific app problem... *sigh*

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: GPS stopped working! (unending "search for location" prompt since Android 5.0.1)
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
I'm so sorry you're having these troubles with your GPS, derps! When exactly did this start happening? Please try going to Settings> Location> and enable the ones you need to  use. Let's see if this helps.

VanessaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
Re: GPS stopped working! (unending "search for location" prompt since Android 5.0.1)
derps
Enthusiast - Level 1
0 Likes
derps
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have been trying to troubleshoot with Verizon support via twitter as well. So far I have gotten, to simply turn location off for 12 hours and afterwords see if it works again. This did not work. They said engineers are looking into it.  Additionally this was a replacement phone via the HTC advantage program so I assume it is refurbished. I did not use GPS until the 5,0,1 android update coincidentally so I do not know for sure it worked when I got it.

The 2nd link shows the possibility of GPS breakage during the initial teardown of a return. Sadly the other issue is extreme battery drain. A 5 min phone call took 5% power and standby for 2 hours took 30%. No active background apps beyond stock, no auto sync, all devices but 4g data and WiFi turned off.

I think the software is not to blame. Seems HTC sent me an incrediby faulty phone.

0 Likes
WATER700

Hello. I am JONAH a Verizon customer too.

I use an Android Samsung note 2.

I am finding myself in exact situation as you.

what have you come up with so far?

0 Likes
WATER700

It is constantly searching for gps lagging to give direction. I'm constantly lost now. Help.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let’s get your GPS read to track your phone WATER700. How long ago did you start having trouble? What error messages do you see when trying to use the GPS?

StevenM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes