HTC One M8 Android 6 (Marshmallow) Update locked my phone
LeeM8
Enthusiast - Level 1

I applied the Verizon updates to my phone today.  Update 1 worked fine.  Update 2 downloaded via wifi and then I clicked install.

Now it is stuck on the red verizon screen.  I let it sit there about 30 minutes and nothing changed.  Phone is getting hot.

I did the power-volUp reset key press and rebooted.

Same thing -- phone just sits at the red verizon screen.

What do I do now?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: HTC One M8 Android 6 (Marshmallow) Update locked my phone
poppanostoppa
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've got the same thing going on and I contact VZ last night and they couldn't get the phone to do anything.  They transferred me to HTC and they couldn't do anything.  HTC offered to repair it for 140 bucks but I declined that offer.  VZ did offer to give me a credit towards a new phone.  The tech from VZ said he hadn't heard of anyone having problems with the 6.0 update on an HTC.  Well good to know I'm not the only one.  I guess I'll be getting a new phone or going back to my old Moto with a cracked screen.

0 Likes
LeeM8
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had similar response from VZ.  I was informed that the update was put out by HTC, not them, but the offerred to help if I had insurance.   I figured that signing up for insurance would be about same cost as signing a 2yr agreement and getting a M9.

VZ did a soft reset (hold Power+VolumeUP keys until phone reboots)

Then tried a hard reset (hold VolumeDown while phone is booting -- this took me to the phones HBOOT menu, where I could try a factory reset).    That didnt work either.

I opened a case with HTC -- waiting for them to contact me (7-10 business days).

Seems like HTC should've reviewed their update before releasing it

0 Likes
poppanostoppa
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just to follow up figured out how to get into the Boot Manager or Recovery or whatever but I get to the same red Verizon screen.  Not sure why the VZ tech or HTC couldn't give me the right button sequence but I finally found it on some other forums.  I had to hold the power button and the volume button to get the phone to do the quick boot.  Was able to do that last night but nothing else.  Techs kept telling me to hold down the power and the volume down button or all 3 at the same time for 2 minutes. 

The correct combo for me was the power button and voume up, then as soon as the screen goes black release those 2 and do the power button and volume down. That then got me into Boot Manager where I could select recovery or reset to defaults.   Picking reset to factory default takes me back to the red verizon screen after a reboot.  Recovery mode gave me a black screen with a phone and a red triangle on it that I couldn't do anything with. 

0 Likes
poppanostoppa
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I was able to get my M8 fixed myself without any help from Verizon or HTC because they couldn't even tell me how to get the Hboot menu.  I downloaded the Marshmallow RUU from the XDA developers forum and you rename it to a specific name the forum tells you.  The download was just over 1.7GB and you have to copy it to your SD card, so make sure you have enough space on your card.  Once you have the file named and copied to the SD card you go into the Hboot menu and it automatically detects the file and starts running the update automatically.  Just follow the prompts on the screen and all you really have to do is reboot once it is completed.  Once it finished and reboots you see the HTC logo and then the red Verizon screen.  Mine stayed on the Verizon screen for a couple of minutes, less than 5 I think, and I thought it was going to stay at the screen just as before.  But finally it goes to a black screen and starts optimizing your apps and once that finished the phone was in working order.  So you should be able to fix it, I got extra motivated to fix it after the local Verizon store couldn't give me the offer I was given by Verizon tech support.  Basically, Verizon wasn't going to assist me in any way since the update bricked the phone.  Luckily, the XDA forum was able to help out.  Try this link and I used Option 2 since my computer couldn't recognize the phone.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/verizon-htc-one-m8/general/official-ruu1-55-605-2-t2883845

This should be the RUU that you need to download, there is a link on the site but figured I would paste the link directly.  It is the first link on the XDA site.

DOTTAT_VZWM8_M_S_ON_6_0_RUU.zip | by dottat for One M8

Rename that zip file to 0P6BIMG.zip

chiliff45
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you poppanostoppa! Your directions allowed me to recover my HTC One M8. Just a note for others who may go through this process, the update process in HBOOT takes a LONG time and it goes through updating System multiple times.

0 Likes
dsmvzuser81

This as a fix seems rather excessive and hacky.   I have the skills to do it, but don't feel I should have to do that myself.  I would like an official solution from verizon on this one.

0 Likes
CHABAI78

Does this process factory reset the phone?

0 Likes