How do i close single apps, using "Recent Apps" in Grid view?
Nitecruzr
Enthusiast - Level 2

In the "Recent Apps" app, we have two views.

• Card view.
  • Grid view.

It's easy to close individual apps, in Card view.  Each app has the "X".  It's easy to close all apps, in Grid view.  Grid view has the "X" at the top of the screen.

That leaves two options, still needed.

• How do I close all apps, in Card view?  If I have a bunch of apps open, leafing through the cards, one by one, is annoying.
  • How do I close a single app, in Grid view?  I use Grid view a lot - but when I need to close one app, I must switch to Card view, then rummage through the cards, one at a time.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How do i close single apps, using "Recent Apps" in Grid view?
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Though I did find this on HTC's support site:  http://www.htc.com/us/support/htc-one-m8/howto/464886.html

It says to drag up on apps to close them in grid view, nothing about close all in card view.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Which phone model do you have?

FYI, I don't close individual applications on my phone unless it is behaving badly or it froze. I let the Android OS manage its own resources.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Nitecruzr
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Ann, and thanks for the reply.

I have an HTC One M8, using Android (6.0 currently).

I have not had a computer yet - including a smartphone - that you want to run endless sequences of apps, unclosed. When the grid display fills up the screen, it's time to close some - at least, selectively.

And there is my problem.  How do you close apps that are not needed, using grid mode?  Especially when downloading, and needing to make an essential update run faster, closing everything includes closing what I am trying to get done.  God forbid that should be a chat that I may be in the middle of.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Like I said I don't close individual applications or all applications on a regular basis for my Android devices (there are several of them). I don't notice any particular slowness with running the various applications. The only device I would say is slow in my collection is a tablet that is several years old and a few OS versions behind the current OS and gets turned on maybe once a month so it has dozens of updates pending on it every time it is booted up. The OS will not stop or close an active application unless it actually crashes which is quite rarely. If the developer is any good, it won't crash on you.

Steps for what you want to do will have to come from someone who is more familiar with that device model. demmo86rt you got an ideas?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Linux works differently than what you have been taught all these years in a Windows world. In the Linux world (which Android is a part of), unused RAM is wasted RAM.  Apps stay in RAM until the system determines it needs that space for something else, and then are removed on a priority basis. That's why it's referred to as recent apps as opposed to running apps. The only app running, and therefore the only one using CPU power is the one you are currently using, and a few core apps that have to run on the background. In fact, if you do close all apps in the recents, a handful of those will restart, causing the opposite of your desired effect.

All that being said, I haven't used my M8 in well over a year, and I haven't even updated it to MM yet  (though that DOES sound like something fun to do tonight) so, unfortunately I'm unable to answer your actual question.

demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Though I did find this on HTC's support site:  http://www.htc.com/us/support/htc-one-m8/howto/464886.html

It says to drag up on apps to close them in grid view, nothing about close all in card view.

0 Likes
Nitecruzr
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you, demmo!

That's half the struggle.

And with all due respect to the Linux memory management, screen space management is a useful ability too.  Keeping  the "Recent Apps" display to one page makes it  way easier to use.