I just updated to Marshmallow operating system and my phone (HTC M8) is no longer able to connect to WiFi. Please advise.
ChrisA-SF

If anyone is having similar issues, please let me know what the fix might be.

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: I just updated to Marshmallow operating system and my phone (HTC M8) is no longer able to connect to WiFi. Please advise.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ChrisA-SF, we understand how important is it to stay connected to Wi-Fi. Do you notice any changes if you turn off your mobile data?
EstebanP_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Re: I just updated to Marshmallow operating system and my phone (HTC M8) is no longer able to connect to WiFi.  Please advise.
ChrisA-SF

I can't connect to my home network but can to other networks.  Worked just fine before I made the mistake of upgrading the phone to marshmallow.  Other devices at home have no problem connecting. 

I tried your suggestion and it did not help.  I've been on the phone with ATT (DSL provider), Verizon, and HTC and nothing has fixed the problem, including doing a factory reset on my phone (which to add insult to injury, is going to push me over my data limit since I no longer have wifi)

A quick search shows that others are having similar problems.  Verizon and HTC-fix this problem!

0 Likes
Re: I just updated to Marshmallow operating system and my phone (HTC M8) is no longer able to connect to WiFi.  Please advise.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Ensuring that you receive Wi-FI at home is of the utmost importance. I appreciate all that you've done thus far. Are there any available firmware updates to router that are available?
YosefT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Re: I just updated to Marshmallow operating system and my phone (HTC M8) is no longer able to connect to WiFi. Please advise.
beentheredonethat
Enthusiast - Level 3

Once again, VZW reps do a lot of talking but solve nothing...

ChrisA-SF,

Glitches after system updates are "normal" in that they happen, that's just the way technology is.  Here are the facts you gave:

• HTC M8
  • system updated to Marshmallow
  • can no longer connect to home wi-fi (you gave no details, make/model of the router, your own or ISP-provided, etc)
  • other wi-fi connections are working (workplace, public networks, etc)
  • other phones in the family have no such issues (you didn't mention models of family members' phones or if any of them have installed Marshmallow)

With wi-fi it takes two to tango.  A system update to your phone would not pick just one of your wi-fi connections to screw up and leave the others unaffected.  Others might be newer or supported by company IT reps.  Most likely the home wi-fi was out of date, previously okay with Lollipop but not with the newer Marshmallow system.  When you have multiple computer systems connecting with each other (in this case your phone and every device or network you connect with) they all have to be compatible with each other.  If one gets an update, others might also need an update.

You mentioned nothing about the home wi-fi, whether you bought/installed it yourself, if it was provided by your home ISP, etc.  You need to check the wi-fi router for updates.  If it was provided by your ISP then call their Tech Support and get help updating it if necessary.  If you bought/installed it yourself then get out the instructions and look into its own updates.

0 Likes
ChrisA-SF

Hi Dude,

And thanks for taking the time to respond to my question.  Verizon, ATT (DSL provider) and HTC have been minimally helpful.  Your response is the best information I've received to date.  I am 99% sure that the problem is at the router, a Motorola 12VDC which was provided by ATT when I signed up for the DSL service a number of years ago..  Current firmware is Netopia 7.8.1r10.  I tried doing an online chat with ATT (I have trouble understanding their English otherwise) to help check if the firmware was current and ran into a brick wall.  Their suggestion was to replace the router, which I may just do.  I've turned the router-modem on and off a number of times but I am really wary to reset the modem and potentially loose connectivity to my other devices and get stuck dealing with AT+T's awful customer service.  Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

0 Likes
beentheredonethat
Enthusiast - Level 3

The only advice I can offer is that if AT&T is unable to update firmware for a device they provided, then I would take them up on their suggestion to replace it, but make certain you get it on the record somewhere with them that it's being replaced in lieu of updating the router's system.

I have AT&T U*Verse for my home internet and when it went out one night about a year ago (nothing to do with smartphones) I got one of their American reps on the phone who had me perform an odd procedure that that reset and updated the router.  It was a combination of holding the reset button on the back, connecting the power cable and connecting the network cable in a certain order.  After about 15-20 minutes he had me press a combination of buttons on my TV clicker and it read up some system info which he said showed that the router was now up to date.

If you choose to keep at it I hope you get a helpful who actually knows how to fix things.  Sadly, the problem is that call center managers look only at statistics as to how efficient their reps are, not at whether they're actually fixing things.

0 Likes