Serious software problems. WHERES THE 5.1 UPDATE?!
hunterdoom
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello,

For the past 6 months I have been struggling with the Android 5.0 software. I'm going to save the list until someone asks cause it's pretty long and detailed.

So, does ANYONE know when the 5.1 update is coming out for the m8 first generation? I have been waiting for it to at least see if any of the problems I have will be solved from it. I will say I already tried reinstalling apps, tried to clear cache and temporary data with the apps, and couple times resetting my phone to factory settings, with no improvement whatsoever.

So I would really appreciate it (and probably other HTC m-series owners as well) when the 5.1 update will be released.

If you really want to know my phone woes for 6 months, shoot a post here.

Thank you.

Labels (2)
Re: Serious software problems. WHERES THE 5.1 UPDATE?!
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I regret to learn you have been experiencing these problems with your HTC device, hunterdoom. We are eager to work towards resolving all these concerns. We appreciate all the previous troubleshooting steps you have taken. Let's see what is the next course of action. Please list issues. Is your device freezing? Is it with your data connection? Please let us know. Help is here.

JuanD_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
hunterdoom
Enthusiast - Level 2

Here is a list of problems going from the most recent to the oldest that have not been solved yet:

• Music playlists no longer exists but files are still on the memory card through Google Play. Happened at least 3 times and needed to re-download all the songs, even though I can see them through the file manager, the Google Play app doesn't recognize they are there (this just happened yesterday).
  • App and widget icons have been randomly disappearing from my home pages on my phone and I cannot tell when it occurs.
  • Slow response from apps, mostly messaging (SMS, Hangouts, Verizon's messaging app, etc.)
  • Google Hangouts at random will refuse to let me type anything. When I go to select the text box to type in, the app will crash and put me back to the main menu of the app. I can view the messages fine, but I usually cannot type anything.
  • Skype has the same issue as Google Hangouts, but it also will crash all together and refuse to open back to the menu again (it will instead go to the phone homepage). I can't even log into the app without it crashing.
  • Most of the wireless connections are never consistent. Read below:
    • Data connection: the 4G and 3G work fine, however, I have had times where I would be talking to someone and the call would drop unexpectedly even though I had good cell service. This has happened twice in one day and each call before the drops last no longer than 20 minutes.
    • Bluetooth: There are random times that the sound going through Bluetooth will hiccup and stop working for a split second and then resume normally. This happens way too many times during the day for me to count.
    • WiFi: This one is the most annoying as I am usually on here than on data. At random, the WiFi will disconnect itself from the network (as if I turned the WiFi off on the phone) and then reconnect a few seconds later or not at all and have to manually reconnect. This happens way too many times for me to count during the day.

As I mentioned before, all this has been occurring for over 6 months, right after I got the 5.0.1 update and I have tried reinstallation of apps as well as resetting the phone itself.

hunter

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for providing all these details, hunterdoom. We want your device to run smoothly and efficiently. Let's get this resolve now. You mentioned you performed a factory reset on your device. After the reset was done, did you bring back all of your apps and settings? After a factory reset is done, we suggest to not bring back all of your previous downloads. Please use your device without these items for at least 48-72 hours. After this time frame, start to download your previous information one or two apps at a time. Please allow 24-48 hours between each download session. This will allow us to see if it is a certain app that maybe causing these issues. Please advise if this has been done. We are looking forward to receiving your reply.

JuanD_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
hunterdoom
Enthusiast - Level 2

Here is the thing. The first few time that I did the reset, most of the problems didn't occur until after 1-2 weeks of using the phone, it wasn't instantaneous except for the wireless connections.

Because HTC announced that the 5.1 update was sent recently to Verizon this month, is it even worth doing the reset if I'm expecting the update that can possibly solve the problems really soon? I don't want to waste time resetting my phone for the problems to be delayed instead of solved.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

I don't see any 5.1 update for any of their devices on their own website...  So whomever the rep said whatever was lying to you.

Below shows you what updates are out and completed

HTC Software Updates | HTC United States

Here is their roms for the most current updates they have for their device.  Their developer devices are first to be updated ALWAYS followed by their unlocked.  As you can see below it's still 5.0. Verizon does not make the updates as shown above by HTC own schedule listing.

HTC One (M8) - News & download - Support | HTC United States

hunterdoom
Enthusiast - Level 2

@Tidbits, it is not a Verizon or HTC representative that told me about the release date. I have looked up several different articles dating from July to August of this year and several of them have mentioned either it is moving straight to Android M or Verizon is struggling to release the update. Which is why I have expressed my frustration above for the Wait Game.

Plus even if I wanted to get the 5.1.1 update via ROM, I am adamant in rooting my phone anytime soon unless it is the only way to solve my phone problems.

hunter

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

If you look at these links straight from HTC themselves NONE of their devices including their developer devices have 5.1.1 so Verizon can't help you or give you anything because HTC hasn't finished anything on their own.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Supposedly the HTC One (M9) is scheduled to get Lollipop 5.1 starting tomorrow. http://www.droid-life.com/2015/08/19/verizon-one-m9-receiving-android-5-1/

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes