Why did you guys block the FM radio on this phone?
joshgould31

Every other carrier has a FM radio on this phone but you guys block it so we can use more data.  This might be the last straw for a 12 year Verizon customer.  Ridiculous!!!

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Why did you guys block the FM radio on this phone?
Tidbits
Legend

already been explained in other threads.

Just answer this simple question... Are you willing to spend an extra $100 to make sure nothing changes and stays the same like it is in Europe?

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Won't matter in a few years if the USA can do what Norway is doing:  killing off FM by 2017 in favor of digital audio broadcasting.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

The US already started doing that.  FM radio is somewhat behind.  I expect it to fully happen by 2020 at the latest.

Digital Television | FCC.gov

Note a lot of these spectrums are being vacated because of this  like the 700 spectrum Verizon bought

and this is the start of making the radio useless much like above the mandate ended up forcing everything to go digital.  Currently all FM tuners on phones are... analog.

Digital Radio | FCC.gov

Snn5
Legend

Im all for DAB myself, I just wonder the implications on data use. 

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

It supposed to be off satellites so there shouldn't be any "data" usage although some carriers went the way of internet radio because it's cheaper than satellite transmission.  I believe as long as it's a digital signal the FCC doesn't care.  They want the vacated frequencies whether for military/government use, or sold off to content/service providers for the "future of technology"

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

The cost of transmitting radio channels through FM is also eight times higher than the cost of DAB transmission, the ministry reports.

According to the Norwegian Ministry of Culture.

Tidbits
Legend

DAB is great.  over the internet is still cheaper than that.  The only thing you will really be paying for is bandwidth on your end and it often doesn't include much hardware on your part.  DAB will be used more than likely if the FCC regulates to be that way or make some sort of "tax" for going the internet radio route.

Prof_Grant
Enthusiast - Level 1

This post shows profound ignorance of U.S. telecommunication policy. About two decades ago, the FCC opted to reject the European DAB standard in favor of a digital standard that broadcasts a digital signal within the analog spectrum allocated to broadcasters. Many radio broadcasters are transmitting both analog and digital signals, but many are transmitting analog only. In either case, there is no plan for reallocating the FM radio spectrum in the U.S.

Verizon is demonstrating both greed and a threat to public safety by disabling the FM radio chips in the phones they sell. The greed is Verizon's desire to charge for a signal that is already available for free. The public safety issue is that, in times of emergency, broadcasters have proven more reliable, and with many more signals available, than wireless telephone carriers. As a company, Verizon should be ashamed of its actions, and consumers should actively petition the FCC to require ALL mobile phones to include an FM radio chip.

mama23dogs
Legend

How does that make sense?

The hardware is disabled by the manufacturer, since it can't be used, how is Verizon going to make money off it?

as for public safety.  I have a radio with a crank so it is human powered, rechargeable battery.  When Alfred leveled most of Connecticut, including cell towers, my hand crank radio still got radio access.  Since we didn't have power for almost 2 weeks, it was a good addition to the emergency kit.